News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2022, 05:28:16 PMNo need for sarcasm.  You suggested it would be easy to do.  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did not appreciate how impossible the task really is.  Your second paragraph indicates you still have little understanding how difficult it would be to amend our constitution.  It is NOT simply a question of changing a few words here and there.
So you're saying it's possible :lol:
QuoteStraightforward from here
- Commonwealth realms start leaving
- Scotland has IndyRef2
- Yes wins
- United Ireland next
- Wales sees, also leave
- Kingdom of England
- English reassess future, become republic
- Too difficult to reform Canadian constitution
- King Charles of Canada
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Canada becomes the successor. Like a western Byzantium :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2022, 05:43:49 PMCanada becomes the successor. Like a western Byzantium :D
:lol: "We've got a monarchy by mistake."
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Your joke aside there a good chance that his mom "oversaw" of the collapse of the empire and Charles will be there for the collapse of the uk.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2022, 05:48:07 PMYour joke aside there a good chance that his mom "oversaw" of the collapse of the empire and Charles will be there for the collapse of the uk.
Yeah, maybe - I still think it's not the likely outcome but it definitely could happen and I think it's more likely now the Queen's gone.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

It's an avalanche thing, I think. Once one goes the rest will follow in quick succession

Sheilbh

I'm just not as sure of the route for Scotland (slightly depends on the Supreme Court). But also they're very different countries. I feel like Northern Irish unionists will be the last Britons even if the rest of the UK has collapsed.

And Wales is politically quite similar to and far more integrated with England. Wales voted for Brexit 52/48, Wales has 14 Tory MPs and 22 Labour (and 4 separatist) and support for independence has always been around 25% bobbing about. That might shift quickly if Scotland were to go but they're not similar yet - and as I say I don't think unionist identity as British will shift any time soon.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2022, 05:48:07 PMYour joke aside there a good chance that his mom "oversaw" of the collapse of the empire and Charles will be there for the collapse of the uk.
Yeah, maybe - I still think it's not the likely outcome but it definitely could happen and I think it's more likely now the Queen's gone.

I still hope the love the Scots and the English have always felt for each other prevails!

Besides 800,000 Scots live in England and 500,000 English people live in Scotland. International borders just make the common people's lives worse. It would be ridiculous to split the union now.

Which is why it will probably happen. The ridiculous is normal in modern politics  :P

But surely that has nothing to do with the monarchy. Charles III would still be King of Scots should they split, or at least that was the plan last time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 05:33:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2022, 05:28:16 PMNo need for sarcasm.  You suggested it would be easy to do.  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did not appreciate how impossible the task really is.  Your second paragraph indicates you still have little understanding how difficult it would be to amend our constitution.  It is NOT simply a question of changing a few words here and there.
So you're saying it's possible :lol:
QuoteStraightforward from here
- Commonwealth realms start leaving
- Scotland has IndyRef2
- Yes wins
- United Ireland next
- Wales sees, also leave
- Kingdom of England
- English reassess future, become republic
- Too difficult to reform Canadian constitution
- King Charles of Canada

:D

Oh God help us.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PMGod Save His Majesty Charles III, King of the United Kingdom

HE'S NOT A HUMAN BEING!

...do we really have no spoiler tags over here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ

Jacob

I'm surprised to realize that you can sort of rhyme "being" with both "king" and "queen"  :huh:

Syt

Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2022, 03:20:06 PMHow can a data system not be exportable?

Having transitioned our company data from a 20+ year old custom solution to a new one, I can tell you it's harder than it looks on the surface. Raw data tables are one thing. But once you start with data relations, definitions, business logic, and decades worth of patches, band-aids and "quick fixes", often with little or no documentation, it quickly becomes a hot mess. Especially when you then have to map all that to your new database structure and redesigned rules and logic. The amount of undocumented "special data tables" alone that were added ad hoc at the time to record certain special business cases was staggering.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

The last Habsburg Emperor was a Karl/Charles too, so ... :P

I saw a number of tweets with the screenshot from Star Trek where, when listing successful terrorist campaigns, Data lists:

:ph34r:

(Edit: just realized, this would have been in the same year as much of season 2 of Star Trek Picard :o )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 09, 2022, 05:24:23 PMYeah, because in America we trivially change our constitution, and it never causes any problems.

But I think you're both being fairly pollyannaish, the Queen has served no real constitutional role in Canadian society and what you're quibbling about are literally matters of wording. The Governor General's title could be transposed for "monarch" in every spot it appears in the constitution, and you'd be perfectly fine.

As shocking as it may be, the Governor-General actually also appears in the Constitution Act 1867, distinct from the Queen.

In terms of re-writing the Constitution it wouldn't be all that terrible (put aside the politics of passing it), but it would NOT be as simple as doing a find-and-replace in the text.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2022, 09:20:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 09, 2022, 03:20:06 PMHow can a data system not be exportable?

Having transitioned our company data from a 20+ year old custom solution to a new one, I can tell you it's harder than it looks on the surface. Raw data tables are one thing. But once you start with data relations, definitions, business logic, and decades worth of patches, band-aids and "quick fixes", often with little or no documentation, it quickly becomes a hot mess. Especially when you then have to map all that to your new database structure and redesigned rules and logic. The amount of undocumented "special data tables" alone that were added ad hoc at the time to record certain special business cases was staggering.
At least you documented the new system comprehensively and kept the documentation up-to-date. Right...?  ;)