News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Its the platitudes that get me, that and the self-congratulatory nonsense about the UK being the best place in the world for this sort of show...personally I think we are a very poor second to North Korea  :lol:

Josephus

So is Putin going to the State Funeral?  :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2022, 05:28:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 09, 2022, 05:24:23 PMYeah, because in America we trivially change our constitution, and it never causes any problems.

But I think you're both being fairly pollyannaish, the Queen has served no real constitutional role in Canadian society and what you're quibbling about are literally matters of wording. The Governor General's title could be transposed for "monarch" in every spot it appears in the constitution, and you'd be perfectly fine.

No need for sarcasm.  You suggested it would be easy to do.  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did not appreciate how impossible the task really is.  Your second paragraph indicates you still have little understanding how difficult it would be to amend our constitution.  It is NOT simply a question of changing a few words here and there.

I guess this is just the difference between a nation of Patriots vs a nation of timid Kneelers. We got rid of our monarch with little thought to it--and in fact did not even formalize a replacement for over 13 years. The glorified tourist resort known as Barbados found the intellect and will to replace the monarchy, but I guess Canada, one of the world's largest economies filled with bright legal minds such as yourself, finds it an impossibility. That is very telling.

Also amusing despite your long history of hateful anti-Americanism and continual gloating about Canada's superiority, you here are suggesting your people are frankly too stupid to edit a legal document.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2022, 04:31:17 AMIt doesn't seem to hold, say, Japan back from modernity - and I found their enthronement ceremony after the abdication of the emperor really interesting. I don't think it matters in terms of modernisation or not, or progressive or not.

Mind you Japan is not even really a constitutional monarchy in the normal sense of that word. Most constitutional monarchies, the monarch is the nominal Head of State, leader of the armed forces, laws are enacted in their name etc etc. The Japanese constitution actually has no formal government role for the Emperor, the Emperor is not legally the executive or associated with the military. The Japanese constitution formally vests all of that in the Japanese cabinet, and the Prime Minister is the formal commander in chief of the Self Defense Forces. The constitution goes on to even explicitly say the Emperor has no governing capacity or responsibilities, and only has such ceremonial responsibilities as the government deems appropriate.

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 05:42:34 AMI am not sure why but it really triggered the red revolutionary in me. I think it was at the affirmation of Scottish protestantism where I flew off the handle.

What was that about? :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Part of the Act of Union - obviously probably worth a refresh but I think you'd need to replace it with something else specific to Scotland.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

The history nerd in me loves this. I think Tamas should be made to symbolically hand over a ceremonial sheaf of wheat while affirming the wisdom of the Presbyter Church of Scotland.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

It does feel like a bit of a flex that Scotland makes the head of the Church of England swear to protect and preserve the "true Protestant and Presbyterian" Church of Scotland :lol:

I suppose Edinburgh is worth a Morning Service.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

Crazy_Ivan80

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 10, 2022, 09:32:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on September 09, 2022, 05:28:16 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 09, 2022, 05:24:23 PMYeah, because in America we trivially change our constitution, and it never causes any problems.

But I think you're both being fairly pollyannaish, the Queen has served no real constitutional role in Canadian society and what you're quibbling about are literally matters of wording. The Governor General's title could be transposed for "monarch" in every spot it appears in the constitution, and you'd be perfectly fine.

No need for sarcasm.  You suggested it would be easy to do.  I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you did not appreciate how impossible the task really is.  Your second paragraph indicates you still have little understanding how difficult it would be to amend our constitution.  It is NOT simply a question of changing a few words here and there.

I guess this is just the difference between a nation of Patriots vs a nation of timid Kneelers. We got rid of our monarch with little thought to it--and in fact did not even formalize a replacement for over 13 years. The glorified tourist resort known as Barbados found the intellect and will to replace the monarchy, but I guess Canada, one of the world's largest economies filled with bright legal minds such as yourself, finds it an impossibility. That is very telling.

Also amusing despite your long history of hateful anti-Americanism and continual gloating about Canada's superiority, you here are suggesting your people are frankly too stupid to edit a legal document.

There is are big differences between our two countries. One appears to be the ability to understand how other countries are governed. 

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2022, 04:03:09 PMThere is are big differences between our two countries. One appears to be the ability to understand how other countries are governed.

Disagree that that is one of the big differences.  Canada is not far behind the US when it comes to understanding how other countries are governed.  Still a little naïve, but only a little.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on September 10, 2022, 06:20:04 AMSo is Putin going to the State Funeral?  :huh:

Biden will be there. I assume all the ex-Presidents will be as well. That should be fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2022, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 10, 2022, 06:20:04 AMSo is Putin going to the State Funeral?  :huh:

Biden will be there. I assume all the ex-Presidents will be as well. That should be fun.

What's the plan for avoiding the whole funeral being about Trump?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on September 10, 2022, 04:28:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2022, 04:25:42 PM

What's the plan for avoiding the whole funeral being about Trump?
Bring the FBI.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017