Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Well, the Russians are currently recruiting new soldiers from prisons and mental asylums, so...

OttoVonBismarck

Russia's manpower issues are real because part of Putin's strategy for this war is to be able to go long, and he clearly wants to insulate "core Russia" from the negative effects of the war. Anything like a mass mobilization or a generalized draft of lots of regular Russians sons, would undermine that to a big degree, so it isn't surprising what they've been doing to press new soldiers into service.

Syt

On the topic of low Russian troop numbers:

Just looked up the numbers for WW2 battles in Ukraine. The 2nd Battle of Kharkiv in the Kharkiv/Izyum area had on the Axis about 350k troops, on Soviet side 750k over a period of about 2 weeks.

Now, I'm sure modern militaries can control more territory with fewer men than in WW2, but the difference to the number of fighting troops today is still huge, with both sides having much fewer in the entire theater.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Yeah I am sure if there was an advantage to having 300,000 soldiers in one battle militaries would still be doing that. Maybe there is less utility to just grabbing random guy, giving him a few months training and handing him a rifle and sending him out there. Maybe more training and gear is needed to make a functional soldier these days and an old fashioned conscript would be pretty useless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2022, 12:11:12 PMYeah I am sure if there was an advantage to having 300,000 soldiers in one battle militaries would still be doing that. Maybe there is less utility to just grabbing random guy, giving him a few months training and handing him a rifle and sending him out there. Maybe more training and gear is needed to make a functional soldier these days and an old fashioned conscript would be pretty useless.

I think that's exactly it.

Combat is far more lethal now than t was 80 years ago.  You need to be trained in some reasonably high-tech weaponry in order to be useful.  If you just give a man a rifle and send him to the front he's going to be a casualty pretty quickly.

By the way that might also help explain increased Ukrainian success.  At the initial invasion Ukraine did do a general mobilization, but those conscripts were of limited use.  6-7 months latera a lot of those guys are now well-trained, often by western militaries.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

No one claimed it would be an easy operation

Tamas

QuoteFigures within the Russian military are said to be concerned that the Ukrainian counter-offensive in Kharkiv will hinder communication between Russian forces in the region.

According to the latest assessment from US-based think tank The Institute for the Study of War, Russian milbloggers – military personnel who write blogs – have voiced concern that the operation seeks to cut ground lines of communication to forces in the cities of Kupyansk and Izyum, and that that could "allow Ukrainian troops to isolate the Russian groupings in these areas and retake large swaths of territory".

"These milbloggers used largely panicked and despondent tones, acknowledged significant Ukrainian gains," the institute said.

"The level of shock and frank discussion of Ukrainian successes by Russian milbloggers speaks to the scale of surprise achieved by Ukrainian forces, which is likely successfully demoralizing Russian forces."

jimmy olsen

Saw video of Russians getting hit while crossing a pontoon bridge.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 08, 2022, 12:55:04 AMNo one claimed it would be an easy operation

Issue for Ukraine will always be their resource disadvantage, and retaking captured land is a lot harder than defending. From what little we know through the fog of war it seems like the Ukrainians are doing this in the smartest way possible, focusing on logistical strikes that actively make it harder for the Russians to continue holding these areas and undermining advantages they have from being on the defense here.

I will say one really sad thought I have about this war is if the West and Ukraine had taken the threat of a Russian invasion more seriously post-Crimea, and the country had been able to pursue the sort of military reforms and improvements we've seen in the last 6 months, starting back in 2015, it is very likely Russia would not have been able to take much if any Ukrainian territory at all by 2022 due to simply being a less effective military.

The Brain

Rumor says fairly high-ranking Russian officers have been taken prisoner.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 08, 2022, 12:55:04 AMNo one claimed it would be an easy operation
Sure, but that death ratio is unsettling.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on September 08, 2022, 07:28:42 AMI will say one really sad thought I have about this war is if the West and Ukraine had taken the threat of a Russian invasion more seriously post-Crimea, and the country had been able to pursue the sort of military reforms and improvements we've seen in the last 6 months, starting back in 2015, it is very likely Russia would not have been able to take much if any Ukrainian territory at all by 2022 due to simply being a less effective military.
It may have been that if US started sending such military equipment in 2015 rather than 2022, then Russia would've openly invaded in 2015 as well.  US equipment or not, in 2015 the Ukrainian army would be in no condition to hold off Russia, with or without US equipment.

DGuller

Quote from: Josquius on September 08, 2022, 07:50:13 AM
I quickly skimmed the article, but it all seems anecdotal.  It's very much possible that things may have gone badly for Ukraine somewhere, and the unfortunate soldiers affected may be extrapolating it to everywhere.

celedhring

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2022, 08:05:55 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 08, 2022, 07:50:13 AM
I quickly skimmed the article, but it all seems anecdotal.  It's very much possible that things may have gone badly for Ukraine somewhere, and the unfortunate soldiers affected may be extrapolating it to everywhere.

It seems an article written for an audience used to Irak war casualty rates.