Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on May 15, 2022, 12:36:59 AMRussian is the language of love.
Russian has 5 vowel sounds: 2 sleepy and 3 drunk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2022, 11:39:55 AMThe Russian internal propaganda may be getting a bit thin in places...

QuoteThe Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers. Those bloggers have begun commenting on the incompetence of the Russian military to their hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-14
Wait, most of the vehicles destroyed were amphibious.  Why did they need a bridge for those to cross?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2022, 05:34:11 PM
Quote from: Jacob on May 15, 2022, 11:39:55 AMThe Russian internal propaganda may be getting a bit thin in places...

QuoteThe Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers. Those bloggers have begun commenting on the incompetence of the Russian military to their hundreds of thousands of followers.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-14
Wait, most of the vehicles destroyed were amphibious.  Why did they need a bridge for those to cross?

Beca... Well... You see.... Silence you!

I guess they were forming a bridgehead to make the bridge for regular vehicles?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The AFVs were amphibious, but couldn't hold ground without the support of tanks, artillery, and supply vehicles, all of which needed a bridge.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2022, 05:34:11 PMWait, most of the vehicles destroyed were amphibious.  Why did they need a bridge for those to cross?

The tanks are "Wading tanks" in that the can cross water with a snorkel and support on leaving side, if I recall correctly - this means in an opposed crossing they don't wade.  The BMPs and other APCs have been listed as "amphibious" since they were introduced, and they have always crossed water like a brick.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2022, 03:40:39 PMThat's a pretty low level to be managing at for a head of state.  I can see why he's so desperate to reduce the number of functional units in Ukraine, the sheer amount of workload he's taking on is unsustainable and has to be reduced somehow.

Fortunately, the Ukrainians are helping reduce that workload. Soon it will reach a manageable level.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2022, 05:47:52 PMThe AFVs were amphibious, but couldn't hold ground without the support of tanks, artillery, and supply vehicles, all of which needed a bridge.
Quote from: PDH on May 16, 2022, 06:14:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2022, 05:34:11 PMWait, most of the vehicles destroyed were amphibious.  Why did they need a bridge for those to cross?

The tanks are "Wading tanks" in that the can cross water with a snorkel and support on leaving side, if I recall correctly - this means in an opposed crossing they don't wade.  The BMPs and other APCs have been listed as "amphibious" since they were introduced, and they have always crossed water like a brick.
Ah.  So amphibious is more aspirational than practical.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2022, 07:25:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 16, 2022, 05:47:52 PMThe AFVs were amphibious, but couldn't hold ground without the support of tanks, artillery, and supply vehicles, all of which needed a bridge.
Quote from: PDH on May 16, 2022, 06:14:17 PM

Ah.  So amphibious is more aspirational than practical.

Yes, they aspirate water.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2022, 03:40:39 PMThat's a pretty low level to be managing at for a head of state.  I can see why he's so desperate to reduce the number of functional units in Ukraine, the sheer amount of workload he's taking on is unsustainable and has to be reduced somehow.
He is a practical man.  Ukraine has been downing Russian generals at an unprecedented rate.  Better to be a lowly colonel, they're not important enough for drone strikes :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on May 16, 2022, 12:52:51 PM:lol: I was wondering why they weren't issued AKs. Surely the Russian armories can't be lacking even half-functional rifles?
Maybe all the AKs were sold to 3rd world rebels, pirates and American military "surplus" stores.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 16, 2022, 09:26:48 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 16, 2022, 12:52:51 PM:lol: I was wondering why they weren't issued AKs. Surely the Russian armories can't be lacking even half-functional rifles?
Maybe all the AKs were sold to 3rd world rebels, pirates and American military "surplus" stores.

Well, we certainly don't have a deficit of guns.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

On lessons learned: I'm wondering if China is looking at the fact the two of the three major military powers (US, Russia, China) launched massive wars this century, only for them to turn into massive disasters, and is thinking "Yes, I want to do that."

War is the great fucker. It cares not for your intentions or preparations. It cannot be controlled. On paper and in computers all the numbers say you'll win easily. But the thing you least thought about beforehand will end up killing you because you thought war was actually a good idea.

Fucking morons. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2022, 05:04:03 PMThat article is very spot on.

Also interesting on him, from Alexander Clarkson:
QuoteAlexander Clarkson
@APHClarkson
Khodaryonok worked in the Operational Command of the General Staff under Yeltsin and has been a defence journo for years. State media editors will known his views, and that he won't be touched because of his former role, but invited him on anyway. As interesting as his comments

Not my observation, but I've seen it said repeatedly that you don't get on Russian TV without getting permission for what you're going to say.

Note of course he never blamed the Putin government for being in this position.  More likely he's being used to soften up public opinion for the "special military operation" not going well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Some hints that after the Mariupol defenders finally surrendered after being promised to be part of a prisoner exchange, Russia may declare the Azov Regiment (which many of them were members of) a terrorist organization, and then refuse to hand them over.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2022, 11:22:45 AMSome hints that after the Mariupol defenders finally surrendered after being promised to be part of a prisoner exchange, Russia may declare the Azov Regiment (which many of them were members of) a terrorist organization, and then refuse to hand them over.

That would be the least surprising decision ever.  There's no way the Kremlin could claim they were "de-Nazifying" Ukraine and leave any member of the Azov regiment that falls into their hands alive.

In general, though, the Russian termination of prisoner exchanges will work in Ukraine's favor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!