Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I feel like the historical precedent for this level of involvement isn't great, right?
QuotePutin involved in war 'at level of colonel or brigadier', say western sources

President helping determine movement of Russian soldiers, say sources, as head of UK armed forces says Ukraine is winning
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/16/putin-involved-russia-ukraine-war-western-sources
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

That's a pretty low level to be managing at for a head of state.  I can see why he's so desperate to reduce the number of functional units in Ukraine, the sheer amount of workload he's taking on is unsustainable and has to be reduced somehow.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2022, 01:54:50 PMI could at least imagine some kind of "soft coup" in Russia that saw a younger generation come in and revamp the entire thing....

From what I've read (which is not super in depth, to be fair), Putin has done a great job destroying most of the younger generation in terms of leadership rivals. I guess we'll see.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2022, 03:28:31 PMI feel like the historical precedent for this level of involvement isn't great, right?
QuotePutin involved in war 'at level of colonel or brigadier', say western sources

President helping determine movement of Russian soldiers, say sources, as head of UK armed forces says Ukraine is winning
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/16/putin-involved-russia-ukraine-war-western-sources

The flip side of course is that Zelenskyy is completely uninvolved in military planning - he leaves that up to his generals.  Zelenskyy views his role is more one of keeping up morale - which does seem the better use of his skills as a former actor and comedian.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 16, 2022, 03:28:31 PMI feel like the historical precedent for this level of involvement isn't great, right?

We'll know the end is near when he starts issuing orders to phantom formations.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2022, 03:53:35 PMThe flip side of course is that Zelenskyy is completely uninvolved in military planning - he leaves that up to his generals.  Zelenskyy views his role is more one of keeping up morale - which does seem the better use of his skills as a former actor and comedian.

Keeping up morale, inspiring confidence, and rallying external support. And he's done a superb job.

Jacob

It looks like a realistic assessment of Russia's position is beginning to seep through even official channels: https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1526293852704890882

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on May 16, 2022, 01:56:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 16, 2022, 01:54:50 PMI could at least imagine some kind of "soft coup" in Russia that saw a younger generation come in and revamp the entire thing....
A lot of the problems of the Russian military comes from it being a top-down kleptocracy.  Simply replacing Putin with a new, younger version does little to help revamp anything.
I am pretty sure I was not suggesting that the only thing needed was someone young....

What are you getting at here? Of course there is nothing remotely simple about any "solution" to Russia's basic malfunctioning.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

One can't help but wonder whether the now famous failed crossing at Siverskyi Donets had direct Putin involvement. It would make a bad look even worse.

PDH

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 04:16:36 PMOne can't help but wonder whether the now famous failed crossing at Siverskyi Donets had direct Putin involvement. It would make a bad look even worse.

Given that apparently the crossing was tried multiple times (with the same results), one might guess that there was someone high up ordering this...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on May 16, 2022, 04:20:40 PMGiven that apparently the crossing was tried multiple times (with the same results), one might guess that there was someone high up ordering this...

It's a theme you see reported a few times - the Russians trying to exact same move repeatedly, only to fail every time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 04:00:24 PMIt looks like a realistic assessment of Russia's position is beginning to seep through even official channels: https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1526293852704890882

He has just become a suicide candidate I think.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on May 16, 2022, 04:00:24 PMIt looks like a realistic assessment of Russia's position is beginning to seep through even official channels: https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1526293852704890882
Pretty extraordinary moment - and an accurate description of the issues they face. "The main deficiency of our military-political position is that virtually the entire world is against us", seems like quite a large deficiency. Especially facing a motivated enemy with high morale fighting for its homeland.

QuoteOne can't help but wonder whether the now famous failed crossing at Siverskyi Donets had direct Putin involvement. It would make a bad look even worse.
The article mentions that as well as repeated assaults on Severodonetsk - there's no evidence that Putin's involved. The assessment that he's micro-managing comes from a Western intelligence source who didn't provide any evidence but the article mentions those two assaults.

It looks like the Russians have given up trying to encircle Donbas - and around Kharkiv the Ukrainians have pushed back to the border at some points - and are now just trying to take the remainder of Luhansk oblast.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

@Tamas and @Sheilbh - this is actually consistent for this guy. A week ago he was the one saying that a general Russian mobilization won't make a difference in this war: https://twitter.com/TechTraderView/status/1523389860748271616

In January, he wrote an article basically dismissing all the Russian triumphalist reasoning about a quick victory in Ukraine and offered an analysis consistent with how things have played out to date. It's in Russian, but google translate does a pretty solid job: https://nvo.ng.ru/realty/2022-02-03/3_1175_donbass.html

I looked up the paper - the Nezavisimaya Gazeta - and it is apparently a regime critical paper (but more moderate than Novaya Gazeta) and, it seems, still publishing.

Sheilbh

That article is very spot on.

Also interesting on him, from Alexander Clarkson:
QuoteAlexander Clarkson
@APHClarkson
Khodaryonok worked in the Operational Command of the General Staff under Yeltsin and has been a defence journo for years. State media editors will known his views, and that he won't be touched because of his former role, but invited him on anyway. As interesting as his comments
Let's bomb Russia!