Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

A "forever war" along the border would be very bad for Russia. Ukraine can rebuild their country with Western help while sanctions and the costs of war keep hitting Russia hard.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 08, 2022, 04:36:28 AMThe little close up at 00:08-9 of a bunch of decoration ribbons is of a US Air Force uniform/ribbon rack and duty badge.  :sleep:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The general effects to Ukraine's economy are devastating: millions of prime age workers either fled as refugees or mobilized to the army, key industrial and agricultural areas under foreign occupation or bombardment; access to the sea cut off; large swaths of the capital's suburbs looted and flattened and the second largest city reduced to ruin.  The IMF is estimating a GDP decline of 35% for 2022 (as compared to -8.5% for Russia).

But how does that human impact effect the ability to prosecute military objections? Not that much:  Ukraine has more and better access to military supplies and equipment now than it did before the war.  The only question is its ability to physically deliver those supplies from the western part of the country to the front lines far to the east.  That could be a really big problem, but if so, it's going to be a problem both sides.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

The biggest timeline for Ukraine is 2025 and a possible Trump restoration.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on May 09, 2022, 12:25:36 PMThe biggest timeline for Ukraine is 2025 and a possible Trump restoration.
I have it on good authority that Trump would actually send more help to Ukraine and send it faster.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on May 09, 2022, 12:11:17 PMA "forever war" along the border would be very bad for Russia. Ukraine can rebuild their country with Western help while sanctions and the costs of war keep hitting Russia hard.

I think it would be much worse for Ukraine than Russia. Sanctions are bad for Russia but there are ways around them. However, there are few businesses that are going to want to operate in Ukraine when you can't fly into and out of Kyiv due to an ongoing war, and you get bombed / attacked by missile from time to time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

The Larch

Either the picture was taken at a very weird moment, or the guy just doesn't look right...

DGuller

I'm sure he's not right in more ways than one, but I think anyone is going to look weird on their worst frame if they're recorded for long enough.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on May 09, 2022, 01:13:27 PMToday, in Russia's state TV: Beria was a pretty nice lad.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1523097022005403648

He gave bouquets of flowers to a number of women.  What a nice guy!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

On the plus side they seem to be drifting away from the Jews caused the Nazis narrative.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Jacob

It's kind of fascinating. Supporting Ukraine and going all in on all the "Glory to Ukraine" stuff is basically a license to go all out nationalist flag-waving militarist with basically all the fascist nationalist undertones of regular nationalism removed.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Ad campaign for the European Greens. Energy efficiency and renewables help us disconnect from Russian blood oil + gas.