Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Josquius

This reference I do not know.
I was thinking more he'll be shooting himself in his bunker soon.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2022, 04:33:56 PMThis reference I do not know.

The Tsar took personal command of the Russian army.  It was stupid move for a number of reasons.  One of those was that he had no one left to blame.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2022, 03:48:54 PMSounds fake.

Looks to me like some nice girl at the Spanish arms packing plant put in a cute note and some twitter dude drew the unwarranted conclusion that it was the queen spelling her own name wrong.

FunkMonk

How many VPs is Mariopol? Will it be enough to counter the Morale loss from the Sinking of the Moskva?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 29, 2022, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: Josquius on April 29, 2022, 04:33:56 PMThis reference I do not know.

The Tsar took personal command of the Russian army.  It was stupid move for a number of reasons.  One of those was that he had no one left to blame.

The other being he had as much business commanding an army as I do being a lead dancer in the Bolshoi Ballet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 29, 2022, 05:56:12 PM

The other being he had as much business commanding an army as I do being a lead dancer in the Bolshoi Ballet.

You know how to get to Carnegie Hall, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Right, which makes having no one else to blame a bit of a problem.

Habbaku

Paths of Glory.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 29, 2022, 05:07:38 PMHow many VPs is Mariopol? Will it be enough to counter the Morale loss from the Sinking of the Moskva?
Not enough since it's not unlikely that every major city might be another mariopol.

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2022, 08:47:21 PMA twitter thread to read for those of you worried about Russian nukes: https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1520180151992131584

My take on this has always been the same: yes, I'm convinced only a fraction of Russia's nuclear arsenal is actually in working condition. And that fraction is enough to cause untold damage.

Tamas

Yeah I mean it's interesting, and probable, and obviously nuclear threats the kind Putin and co. are making must not be caved to even if their arsenal is in tip-top shape. But, "we are fine, there'd be only a partial armageddon" is still not good news.

Josquius

What worries me about Russian nukes is it strikes me that if they were to try for a limited nuclear strike that a second/third tier British city is the likely target :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on April 30, 2022, 03:56:25 AMWhat worries me about Russian nukes is it strikes me that if they were to try for a limited nuclear strike that a second/third tier British city is the likely target :ph34r:

No a limited punitive strike on a NATO city seems like the most pointless move imaginable. The retaliation may aim to eliminate the rest of your nuclear capabilities, so I think once the decision is made to start nuking NATO cities, they'll unload everything they have, while they can.