Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2022, 11:35:18 AMDid Ukraine used to buy its weapons only from nonprofits?  :lol:

Yeah, I was surprised to see it that low, given their predicament. Then again, it is a very poor country.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2022, 11:40:29 AMYeah, I was surprised to see it that low, given their predicament. Then again, it is a very poor country.

I was taking a crack at Squeeze's comment about profit and waste.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 28, 2022, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2022, 11:40:29 AMYeah, I was surprised to see it that low, given their predicament. Then again, it is a very poor country.

I was taking a crack at Squeeze's comment about profit and waste.

Ah, I see.

Ukraine is riddled with corruption, too.

DGuller

I wonder why the US military stuff is so much more expensive?  Is it because we're willing to pay much more for marginally better performance, whereas countries like Ukraine don't have the luxury?  Is it higher labor costs?  Is it R&D expenses that aren't removed from per-unit costs even after they're recouped?

Jacob

So... some speculation that Putin will use May 9th to escalate and possibly enact general mobilization. Reportedly, internal Russian rhetoric is increasingly casting the war as an existential struggle for Russia vs NATO, as opposed to a local "special operation". I believe this is correct. Putin's shown his hand as an evil actor and an outright enemy, and the West is correctly standing up to him.

The worry, however, is that this will lead to actions that target NATO, leading to what some see as potentially tough decisions - how to respond to Russia hitting targets inside NATO countries, f. ex.? There's a real risk of a potential wider conflagration of this war, it seems.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2022, 11:53:20 AMI wonder why the US military stuff is so much more expensive?  Is it because we're willing to pay much more for marginally better performance, whereas countries like Ukraine don't have the luxury?  Is it higher labor costs?  Is it R&D expenses that aren't removed from per-unit costs even after they're recouped?

Where are you getting the idea that US stuff is so much more expensive?  We're not just replacing their procurement budget (which I'm willing to bet was pretty small), we're throwing stuff at them they've never had before.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2022, 11:53:20 AMI wonder why the US military stuff is so much more expensive?  Is it because we're willing to pay much more for marginally better performance, whereas countries like Ukraine don't have the luxury?  Is it higher labor costs?  Is it R&D expenses that aren't removed from per-unit costs even after they're recouped?

Like most countries the USA does not like to take casualties, unlike most countries it is rich enough to minimise casualties by spending lots of cash on top-notch gear. My hypothesis anyway.

celedhring

My completely uninformed perception is that yank stuff is overengineered (and they can afford it) for doctrinal reasons. Russians don't care for stuff like crew survival, or using lots of precise munitions because collateral damage is a feature, not a bug.

Jacob

Interesting observation I came across - Biden's $33 billion is aimed at having a big impact within the next 5 months, which is before any potential broad mobilization (or total mobilization, even) is likely to be able to have an impact on the actual fighting (due to training & procurement requirements, assuming they can even pull those off).

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on April 28, 2022, 12:04:16 PMMy completely uninformed perception is that yank stuff is overengineered (and they can afford it) for doctrinal reasons. Russians don't care for stuff like crew survival, or using lots of precise munitions because collateral damage is a feature, not a bug.

They also have shit logistics and maintenance, which lowers operating costs.

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2022, 11:57:02 AMSo... some speculation that Putin will use May 9th to escalate and possibly enact general mobilization. Reportedly, internal Russian rhetoric is increasingly casting the war as an existential struggle for Russia vs NATO, as opposed to a local "special operation". I believe this is correct. Putin's shown his hand as an evil actor and an outright enemy, and the West is correctly standing up to him.

The worry, however, is that this will lead to actions that target NATO, leading to what some see as potentially tough decisions - how to respond to Russia hitting targets inside NATO countries, f. ex.? There's a real risk of a potential wider conflagration of this war, it seems.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-state-tv-vladimir-putin-may-start-a-nuclear-war-but-we-are-ready-to-die

Sounds like the talking heads are building up a suicidal frenzy pushing themselves to global thermonuclear war, hopefully in just an effort to bid over each other in signalling loyalty. But this is very worrying.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 12:13:07 PMhttps://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-state-tv-vladimir-putin-may-start-a-nuclear-war-but-we-are-ready-to-die

Sounds like the talking heads are building up a suicidal frenzy pushing themselves to global thermonuclear war, hopefully in just an effort to bid over each other in signalling loyalty. But this is very worrying.

I rate it as "mildly worrying", but yeah.

Grey Fox

Wonder how Xi is starting to feel about all this. He's probably not to keen on having Indian nukes in his face because Putin threw a tantrum.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2022, 11:57:02 AMSo... some speculation that Putin will use May 9th to escalate and possibly enact general mobilization. Reportedly, internal Russian rhetoric is increasingly casting the war as an existential struggle for Russia vs NATO, as opposed to a local "special operation". I believe this is correct. Putin's shown his hand as an evil actor and an outright enemy, and the West is correctly standing up to him.

yeah, going by what's on the Russian media it seems as if the Russians don't love their children anymore...

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on April 28, 2022, 12:04:52 PMInteresting observation I came across - Biden's $33 billion is aimed at having a big impact within the next 5 months, which is before any potential broad mobilization (or total mobilization, even) is likely to be able to have an impact on the actual fighting (due to training & procurement requirements, assuming they can even pull those off).

In 2020 Russia's military budget was $61.7 billion.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014