Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Hey yanks, what's the deal with this:

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1519452814245871616

I had Ocasio-Cortez as an unusually leftist US politician, but still fighting the good fight. Are the democrat leftists Putin stooges or is there, as one would suspect, more complex stuff at hand?

Richard Hakluyt

The four Dems are members of "the squad". Maybe they just can't agree with Biden on anything, or maybe they have the weird view of the world held by certain leftists and it is all NATO's fault  :hmm:

Josquius

A browse down that twitter thread I see the idea that it was a symbolic gesture, knowing it was due to pass, that not enough is being done?

Though seems politically unwise...
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they voted no because they were opposed to the measures presented in the bill.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2022, 02:49:19 AMI'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they voted no because they were opposed to the measures presented in the bill.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the least likely.
Plus it doesn't really say much.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2022, 02:54:38 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2022, 02:49:19 AMI'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they voted no because they were opposed to the measures presented in the bill.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the least likely.
Plus it doesn't really say much.

8 nutjobs (in this specific case) among all the lawmakers sounds pretty good to me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2022, 04:00:46 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2022, 03:34:19 AM:huh:

8 is very few I think.
1: what does this have to do with what I said?
2: that's just the democrats. The republican number was iirc 60+
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2022, 04:43:47 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2022, 04:00:46 AM
Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2022, 03:34:19 AM:huh:

8 is very few I think.
1: what does this have to do with what I said?
2: that's just the democrats. The republican number was iirc 60+

1. With a number as low as 8 en explanation that goes beyond nutjobs seems unnecessary.
2. I'm just going by the information in the Twitter link. Is Marjorie Taylor Greene a Democrat?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Are we in a position yet to declare the Great Eastern Offensive stalled?

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 06:01:10 AMAre we in a position yet to declare the Great Eastern Offensive stalled?

Has it started?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on April 27, 2022, 05:20:35 AMIn Germany, it is private companies buying the gas. Not sure of the government can even stop them from paying in rubles. Is there a legal basis for this from the sanction regime?
I think the Commission has clarified this now and said that opening an account to pay in Rubles is in breach of sanctions.

There'd been a bit of confusiono by companies over this but I think the Commission's reasoning is that that involves the Russian Central Bank which is under sanctions. It's probably the right decision politically but I'm not entirely sure it hangs together legally - it seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Edit: Really interesting thread on press conference in Bulgaria aftr Russia announced they were cutting off their gas supply:
https://twitter.com/SomniNaut/status/1519317573178904576

Historically Bulgaria has always been one of the most pro-Russian countries in the rest of Europe. So another great strategic outcome for Putin there.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on April 28, 2022, 02:47:13 AMA browse down that twitter thread I see the idea that it was a symbolic gesture, knowing it was due to pass, that not enough is being done?

Though seems politically unwise...

That's what I figure, a "Sense of the House" bill, not actual legislation.

@Threviel: your link shows both Democrats and Republicans.  For example AOC is D NY because she is a Democrat from New York.