Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on April 14, 2022, 05:03:21 AMIt's not exactly surprising that the consensus in, for example, the Spanish EUOT is that the Germans are a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites and will sell the Ukrainians off at the first opportunity.

Yes.

They'll backslide the second they get the chance. Germany's foreign policy is an incredibly malign influence on the world. Supine towards China, brain dead with it's "Green" politics leading to total energy dependence on Russia, giving it carte blanche in Ukraine, etc. All dressed up in odious moralizing. Fuck the German political establishment sideways up the ass.

That said we need them sweet while this war lasts, at least not actively sabotaging the Ukrainian relief effort.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 06:44:42 AMSpanish EUOT has pointed me to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Card - although it was refloated.

Now there's an obscure bit of history.  I had never heard of this.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 06:46:08 AMQuora is full of Russians. They keep saying that American special operations forces (10th Mountain, Rangers, Seals, etc) are dying by hundreds or thousands, due to them being overrated and incompetent.  Apparently NATO and Europe in general are now fully aware that the US military is a paper tiger that is incapable of defending them should it come to it.

Projection is a helluva thing  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

celedhring

Well, German public opinion seems pretty in favor of sending heavy hardware.

AFD gotta AFD. Also I guess Die Linke would be against if they were in the poll.

Darth Wagtaros

The ship wasn't hit by missiles. A small fire instantaneously erupted on amongst the many discarded vodka bottles rolling around the top deck. At the same time a unrelated series of explosions began in the ship's magazines, which inspired the officers to begin a test-scuttling. Which is done by navies all over the world.  
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 08:19:30 AMAFD gotta AFD.

WTF?  How can a crypto-Nazi party be against beating up Russians?

Just reinforces my view that the modern far right doesn't believe in anything at all except being against whatever you're for.

Legbiter

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 08:22:00 AMThe ship wasn't hit by missiles. A small fire instantaneously erupted on amongst the many discarded vodka bottles rolling around the top deck. At the same time a unrelated series of explosions began in the ship's magazines, which inspired the officers to begin a test-scuttling. Which is done by navies all over the world. 

I've seen vatnik shill cope on twatter along these lines, ackshually it was just an accidental fire...

As if that's somehow a better look for the Russians.

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 06:46:08 AMQuora is full of Russians. They keep saying that American special operations forces (10th Mountain, Rangers, Seals, etc) are dying by hundreds or thousands, due to them being overrated and incompetent.  Apparently NATO and Europe in general are now fully aware that the US military is a paper tiger that is incapable of defending them should it come to it.
I deleted my Quora account a year or so ago, when I realized that it was infested with Russian propaganda trolls.  You can almost surely tell when you click on someone's account and look at their posting history.  It's a shame, because for a time it actually was a pretty reliable place on the Internet to find an intelligent and detailed answer to a whole bunch of questions, but they clearly seemed to think that defending against trolls wasn't their job, and I think that was a fatal mistake.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2022, 08:25:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 08:19:30 AMAFD gotta AFD.

WTF?  How can a crypto-Nazi party be against beating up Russians?

Just reinforces my view that the modern far right doesn't believe in anything at all except being against whatever you're for.

Many far-right parties over here are. FPÖ had very close ties to Moscow and a cooperation agreement with Putin's party. Strongman Putin, standing for traditional values, vs decadent left-green West is pretty attractive to such types.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2022, 08:19:30 AMWell, German public opinion seems pretty in favor of sending heavy hardware.

AFD gotta AFD. Also I guess Die Linke would be against if they were in the poll.

The Greens are the most in favour? Now that's a peculiar development.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Legbiter on April 14, 2022, 08:27:25 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 08:22:00 AMThe ship wasn't hit by missiles. A small fire instantaneously erupted on amongst the many discarded vodka bottles rolling around the top deck. At the same time a unrelated series of explosions began in the ship's magazines, which inspired the officers to begin a test-scuttling. Which is done by navies all over the world. 

I've seen vatnik shill cope on twatter along these lines, ackshually it was just an accidental fire...

As if that's somehow a better look for the Russians.
They are towing - TOWING - their aircraft carrier to 'menace' the Swedes and Finns.  I think they're past the point of understanding what a good look looks like.
PDH!

Legbiter

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 14, 2022, 09:09:00 AMThey are towing - TOWING - their aircraft carrier to 'menace' the Swedes and Finns.  I think they're past the point of understanding what a good look looks like.

At least if it spontaneously self-combusts while doing so the tug boats are right there.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2022, 09:07:07 AMThe Geeens are the most in favour? Now that's a peculiar development.

There's clips of Habeck and Baerbock from 5 or so years back where they already have a stand-offish attitude towards Russia and Putin. Partly because of their climate goals, but also because of Russia's action in Syria, Putin's authoritarian regime etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 14, 2022, 09:07:07 AMThe Geeens are the most in favour? Now that's a peculiar development.
I love the German Greens :blush:

They're right on this, they were right on the risks around gas policy and Russia for years, they're right on China. I don't agree with them on nuclear but there's enough good stuff there. They're a real, proper governing party with a pretty coherent view in a way that lots of protest vote Greens just aren't.
Let's bomb Russia!