Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

celedhring

I think that clip is just echoing Ukraine's statement the other day that they had 600 POWs.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2022, 12:44:09 PM"Lena News" is reporting 600 Russians have surrendered.

apparently there are even Russian soldiers that have switched sides too.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2022, 09:35:21 AMI think it's really interesting that, unlike in previous rounds, the Commission is briefing their proposals ahead of the Council. It strikes me as clever politics and will force countries opposed to them out into the open a little bit more.

And Hungary has now come out as against any sanctions on energy...

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2022, 01:44:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2022, 09:35:21 AMI think it's really interesting that, unlike in previous rounds, the Commission is briefing their proposals ahead of the Council. It strikes me as clever politics and will force countries opposed to them out into the open a little bit more.

And Hungary has now come out as against any sanctions on energy...

Is this a situation where the Hungarian position can undermine EU sanctions significantly?

celedhring

I suppose nothing would stop the rest of the EU to sanction energy while Orban does his thing and doesn't follow them. I don't think this is a formal EU power (and thus vetoable), rather just EU countries coordinating themselves.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 06, 2022, 01:44:06 PMAnd Hungary has now come out as against any sanctions on energy...
In fairness the last time that happened there were apparently several other countries (including Germany and at that time Italy who've since shifted) opposed to it - they were just generally happy to let Hungary be the face of it. So it'll be intereting to see if that's happening again or if it really is just Hungary.

QuoteI suppose nothing would stop the rest of the EU to sanction energy while Orban does his thing and doesn't follow them. I don't think this is a formal EU power (and thus vetoable), rather just EU countries coordinating themselves.
If it's related to trade or sanctions, that's an EU competence isn't it?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2022, 01:37:00 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7cAhXEM4s

Intercepted call to wife.  Not optimistic.

I think it's fake. Everything the soldier says has already been in the news/rumor mill, there are little personal details.

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2022, 02:15:05 PMIf it's related to trade or sanctions, that's an EU competence isn't it?

Yep, I was wrong. Just checked it and it's an EU power and one of those falling under unaminity. Ah well, I hope the rest of the Visegrad coterie can eventually strongarm Orban.

Sheilbh

The Polish-Hungarian relationship looks fully broken now - I feel like within a year Poland'll be calling for Hungary to be kicked out the EU too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 06, 2022, 02:23:33 PMI think it's fake. Everything the soldier says has already been in the news/rumor mill, there are little personal details.

Stop picking on me.  :weep:

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2022, 02:26:50 PMThe Polish-Hungarian relationship looks fully broken now - I feel like within a year Poland'll be calling for Hungary to be kicked out the EU too.

You know you've turned up the fasc dial a smidge much when....
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 06, 2022, 02:26:50 PMThe Polish-Hungarian relationship looks fully broken now - I feel like within a year Poland'll be calling for Hungary to be kicked out the EU too.

They just need to Article 7 his ass.