Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2022, 08:56:26 PMIf such attacks continue, then the civilians lose their protected status under the Law of Armed Conflict (this is known as "perfidy").  Noncombatants are noncombatants even if the Russians are committing war crimes. The Ukrainian government needs to tell their people this, not encourage them to sacrifice their protected status.
All civilians, or just the ones serving cookies with something extra?  I don't think anyone expects the kind grandma serving those cookies to Russian soldiers to remain off limits.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 04, 2022, 09:02:45 PMI mean the Ukrainian government has told civilians to make molotov cocktails. I think they are profoundly uninterested in selling their people lies that if they behave the Russians won't hurt them.

Everyone has a moral obligation to resist invaders in a war of conquest, no matter the consequences, and no matter the law.

They can resist, but the law requires they wear some sort of emblem when they do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Civilians are allowed to defend themselves by laws that are innate to all humans, above and beyond any treaty-made (and virtually never enforced) laws.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2022, 07:31:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2022, 06:54:34 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9KZuYbOjuI

Russian soldiers poisoned by gifts of food from Ukrainian civilians.  Two dead.

Pretty dodgy and not such a good idea.
Yeah, I agree.  If such tactics continue, at some point the Russians may start targeting civilians.

Barrister

All right, I give to you the #1 hit in Ukraine, and the only song I know of dedicated to a military drone aircraft: Bayraktar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVu_DeB4wo

Super simple melody, but surprisingly catchy.  Plus all the drone shots of Russian military vehicles being blown up is satisfying.

(video is in Ukrainian, but english subtitles)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Zelensky is going to address the Spanish parliament today. I wonder what he'll say, Podemos (junior coalition partner) has opposed sending weapons - although they have been overruled by PSOE.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2022, 09:04:15 PMAll civilians, or just the ones serving cookies with something extra?  I don't think anyone expects the kind grandma serving those cookies to Russian soldiers to remain off limits.

All civilians.  It's like using any other protected status (like the Red Cross/Crescent for medical personnel) to enable an attack or gain a military advantage.  It is prohibited, and perfidy removes that protected status.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 04, 2022, 09:41:19 PMCivilians are allowed to defend themselves by laws that are innate to all humans, above and beyond any treaty-made (and virtually never enforced) laws.

Poisoning is not self-defense.  Maybe the lawtalkers can point to an amazing case where someone successfully used self-defense as a defense to the charge of murder.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Good thing those dead hand-tied civilians didn't lose their protected status.

I understand that actions like this poisoning will bring Russian soldiers down even harder on civilians. But I don't really subscribe this notion of a noble war. It's not a fucking sports event. If you are rightfully defending your own and your loved ones' life and safety against deadly and unprovoked aggression, then you are allowed to do that by whatever means necessary. If you are not (for example, you are a Russian soldier in Ukraine), then you have no business of being there and killing people, and carry the blame for whatever the hell is happening to you.

Again, from a practical point of view, it can be debated whether poisoning occupation forces is a net benefit to the struggle of getting rid of them (making the occupation a living hell vs. making them even more cruel), but from a moral or even from a so called legal way (lol) there should be no question.

The Brain

Russian soldiers are allowed to accept gifts of food from civilians? In Sweden even rent cops aren't allowed to eat food gifts. If the Russians themselves don't give a fuck then why should anyone else.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2022, 07:26:32 AMRussian soldiers are allowed to accept gifts of food from civilians? In Sweden even rent cops aren't allowed to eat food gifts. If the Russians themselves don't give a fuck then why should anyone else.
Rules or not, in Russian culture it's often considered rude to decline offers of food.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2022, 07:26:32 AMRussian soldiers are allowed to accept gifts of food from civilians? In Sweden even rent cops aren't allowed to eat food gifts. If the Russians themselves don't give a fuck then why should anyone else.

I am sure they will figure in a short time to have civilians taste them before accepting them, as in sharing.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2022, 07:34:57 AM
Rules or not, in Russian culture it's often considered rude to decline offers of food.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 05, 2022, 07:35:24 AM

I am sure they will figure in a short time to have civilians taste them before accepting them, as in sharing.

Suicide bombers meet suicide cakers.
██████
██████
██████