Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

I've been saying that. This'll be a long war and hopefully there are Ukrainians training on heavier western systems.

With that said the Ukrainians have a lot of heavy stuff, Ukraine is not a minor league player when it comes to hardware. They have lots of armour and lots of artillery. Since their artillery is of Soviet origin I imagine it'll be difficult to just jack in a western radar or targeting system.

I would guess, with data from the department of stuffs pulled from my ass, that Ukraine has enough heavy stuff to last about a year so. By that time we need to have our production lines running three-shift to supply them heavier stuff. Possibly much sooner. And by then they need to have the logistics of it up and running, mechanics trained on western stuff and so on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on March 17, 2022, 12:44:28 PMHow about some Patriots? How about some cutting edge anti-artillery hardware? Drones.

I figure Patriots would take too long to train.

There was anti-artillery radar in that list I linked.  They're also sending these these "tactical drones" that you fly into a tank and it blows up.  Cute little suicide drones.

celedhring

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to train the UA in anything more complex than man-portable equipment, and integrate it in its forces. Hence the drive to find Warsaw Pact gear for them.

Admiral Yi

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2022, 01:07:03 PMYeah, I don't think it's feasible to train the UA in anything more complex than man-portable equipment, and integrate it in its forces. Hence the drive to find Warsaw Pact gear for them.
That assumes that this will be over one way or another in the next X weeks.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Makes sense to prepare for a long war. "Worst" case is that the war ends before you have trained them, but by starting training you have showed Russia that you're in for the duration.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Chinese state media reporting Russians killing civilians (granted, this is their outlet intended for Western audiences). :hmm:

https://twitter.com/cgtnamerica/status/1504510377446543362?s=20&t=g7U7JO_1V7QcvX4U2ymHug

QuoteCGTN America
@cgtnamerica
China state-affiliated media

Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster and the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv.

Video: 10 civilians killed standing in line for bread says Ukrainian TV
Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster. Russia denies targeting civilians.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Jacob

This is purely based on my project management and PC strategy game experience, rather than anything to do with real war fighting, but...

How long will it take to train up Ukrainian forces on NATO equipment and more beefy equipment? Like, can you get a group up and running in, say, a year?

Because, yes, we're hoping that this wraps up soon (and positively). But if it doesn't, creating a timeline where "well in six months the Ukrainian army will be able to field [scary asset], and in 12 months they'll be able to deploy [even scarier asset]" would be prudent - and would also build a sense of inevitably increasing pressure against Russia that time is not on their side.

I mean, there are probably practical concerns (where is the training going to take place, f. ex.) but IMO we should consider scenarios where the war does not end in the short term, and this should be part of it.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2022, 01:26:09 PMMakes sense to prepare for a long war. "Worst" case is that the war ends before you have trained them, but by starting training you have showed Russia that you're in for the duration.

Yes, exactly.

celedhring

It's not just the training, the Ukrainian Army has to build a logistics pipeline for any kind of new complex equipment you add. And also integrate it in their tactics.

I'm not against the idea - hell, we need to make sure Russia doesn't think they can just walk away and try next time after un-sucking its army, just that I wouldn't expect any new equipment to make much of a difference in the short term.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2022, 01:26:17 PMChinese state media reporting Russians killing civilians (granted, this is their outlet intended for Western audiences). :hmm:

https://twitter.com/cgtnamerica/status/1504510377446543362?s=20&t=g7U7JO_1V7QcvX4U2ymHug

QuoteCGTN America
@cgtnamerica
China state-affiliated media

Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster and the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv.

Video: 10 civilians killed standing in line for bread says Ukrainian TV
Russian troops have killed at least 10 civilians standing in line for bread in Chernihiv, a city in northern Ukraine, according to a Ukrainian public broadcaster. Russia denies targeting civilians.

That is interesting. I wonder how much that's reflected in more inward facing Chinese language media.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2022, 01:32:28 PMIt's not just the training, the Ukrainian Army has to build a logistics pipeline for any kind of new complex equipment you add. And also integrate it in their tactics.

I'm not against the idea - hell, we need to make sure Russia doesn't think they can just walk away and try next time after un-sucking its army, just that I wouldn't expect any new equipment to make much of a difference in the short term.

Yeah for sure. I don't have a good sense of what sort of actions would beef up Ukrainian capabilities notably a year or two down the road, but I think we should consider them and start taking them now where feasible.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on March 17, 2022, 01:29:15 PMThis is purely based on my project management and PC strategy game experience, rather than anything to do with real war fighting, but...

How long will it take to train up Ukrainian forces on NATO equipment and more beefy equipment? Like, can you get a group up and running in, say, a year?

Because, yes, we're hoping that this wraps up soon (and positively). But if it doesn't, creating a timeline where "well in six months the Ukrainian army will be able to field [scary asset], and in 12 months they'll be able to deploy [even scarier asset]" would be prudent - and would also build a sense of inevitably increasing pressure against Russia that time is not on their side.

I mean, there are probably practical concerns (where is the training going to take place, f. ex.) but IMO we should consider scenarios where the war does not end in the short term, and this should be part of it.

FWIW Sweden took delivery of the physical parts of Patriot systems in early fall last year, and they were operational in December. Granted Swedes had been involved earlier in the process, but I'd be surprised if you can't get units up and running in a few months in wartime.

Among the Western volunteers there may also be people with experience of various NATO weapon systems. This is a resource.