Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

God forbid we hurt Russian feelings.

What should Ukraine do beside letting POWs talk to their families back home, and their president repeatedly pleading to Russians to stop this war? Apologise for any inconvenience caused while defending?

The Larch

It has to be reminded that recording and showing images of POWs, even if it's for sympathetic reasons like what the Ukranians are doing, goes against the Geneva convention.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on March 07, 2022, 04:27:58 AMBecause it is?
You're being strangely hesitant to show any of your cards Squeeze.
OK, glorious Ukraine and fuck Russia is a characterization.  Fine, a characterization of what?  I ask you for specifics and you say you don't know Ukrainian.  So what are you basing your characterization and your conclusion on?  Facial expressions and tone of voice?
There's nothing in the stuff that I've watched or read that I would characterize as semi fascy.  And a great deal of stuff that I would characterize as the opposite of semi fascy.
So I'm interested in why you said what you said, but you're not giving me anything on which to evaluate your conclusion for myself.

Duque de Bragança

POW faces may not be shown indeed.They can be shown blurred I believe i.e no identification possible.

Tyr

Your ill-advised PC-friendly propaganda advise would have merit, if the Ukrainians went on hardcore nationalist by stating they will destroy Russia, kill all Russians, march on Rostov and other Russian cities then Moscow, or even start to execute Russian POWs (war crime).

Right now your definition of fascism is completely bonkers, only surpassed by Putin's definition of nazism.

The Larch

Hungary will allow the deployment of NATO troops on its territory, as well as the transit of military supplies between NATO countries through it.

Syt

A war of aggression is bound to raise patriotic/national(ist) sentiment among the defenders. E.g. the German national movement eventually leading to unification was born out of the Napoleonic Wars. So this is to be expected.

And while groups like the Azov Battalion have been fighting for the Ukrainian side since 2014, I doubt they represent the majority or even a significant part of Ukrainians (their party gained 2.15% in the 2019 elections).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2022, 09:11:37 AMHungary will allow the deployment of NATO troops on its territory, as well as the transit of military supplies between NATO countries through it.

Considering Hungary's troops are NATO troops, I would hope so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2022, 09:16:20 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 07, 2022, 09:11:37 AMHungary will allow the deployment of NATO troops on its territory, as well as the transit of military supplies between NATO countries through it.

Both of these things had been declined by Hungary up until now.

I can see two reasons for the change of heart: either the private Fidesz polls have come back and showing a bigger support for Ukraine in the populace than what pro-state media and a lot of online comments would have you believe, and/or NATO allies were telling Orban in no uncertain terms that he needs to get on board with the team he signed up to.

Admiral Yi

I'm guessing Serbia is fucking itself on EU membership.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2022, 09:35:37 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 07, 2022, 09:27:59 AMWhat do you mean?

I'm thinking of that protest in support of Russia.

Serbia as an EU member isn't in the cards regardless. About as realistic as Turkey.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on March 07, 2022, 09:24:36 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2022, 09:16:20 AM

Both of these things had been declined by Hungary up until now.

I can see two reasons for the change of heart: either the private Fidesz polls have come back and showing a bigger support for Ukraine in the populace than what pro-state media and a lot of online comments would have you believe, and/or NATO allies were telling Orban in no uncertain terms that he needs to get on board with the team he signed up to.

So there are stil conditions on this by the Hungarian government: no direct weapon shipments through the Hungarian-Ukrainian border, and no non-Hungarian NATO troops East of the Danube.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi