Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 07:09:33 PMBrain, does it look like the power plant is on fire?  Or is it just regular steam?

Without knowing much about the plant layout or that reactor type, my impression is that it's smoke. Doesn't look like something you'd normally see there I don't think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Insane to think that there's a big stadium full of people watching.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on March 03, 2022, 07:14:33 PMInsane to think that there's a big stadium full of people watching.
It's not often that you get to watch a monumental historical event in the making.

Admiral Yi

Speaking of APC = tank for journalists, are there any journalists who know what decimate means? :bleeding:

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 03, 2022, 06:38:30 PMLooks like Denmark may well increase military spending to the target 2% of GDP in the not too distant future. There may also be a referendum to determine if we should drop the exception we have on EU defense.

Looks like there's a bit of momentum within Finland for joining NATO - seems like it's advanced a bit further than Sweden at this point?

This whole plan of invading neighboring countries to stop neighboring countries from massing armies at your borders seems misguided.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2022, 07:24:59 PMSpeaking of APC = tank for journalists, are there any journalists who know what decimate means? :bleeding:
Does it really matter how the Romans used the term, if everyone understands what is meant by it today?

The Brain

I get the impression the Russians are likely entering buildings now.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 03, 2022, 07:24:59 PMSpeaking of APC = tank for journalists, are there any journalists who know what decimate means? :bleeding:

More like "if not construction equipment and has tracks" = "tank".  I've seen at least one instance of an SA-13 being labelled a "tank".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2022, 07:28:34 PMDoes it really matter how the Romans used the term, if everyone understands what is meant by it today?

"Deci" is right there in the word.

I understand that language is flexible and meanings change over time, but part of that process is resisting boneheaded changes.

Tamas

Are those really the power plant's buildings they are firing tracers around?

Tamas

Ah now there's a fire, I think. This is fine.

The Brain

Looks like an office building to me. Not great, not terrible.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 03, 2022, 07:39:13 PMAre those really the power plant's buildings they are firing tracers around?
According to Google Maps, it is one of the power plant buildings, though I understand that the reactors are behind and to the left of the camera.  The building being fired on and set on fire is for maintenance crews, if I understand English transliteration of Ukrainian correctly.  Can you make do without maintenance personnel? :unsure:

EDIT:  Correction, it's a training facility for maintenance personnel.  Won't need those for a while.