News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2022, 08:07:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 25, 2022, 10:25:12 AMBrian Eno shilling for cat food.

..snip..

Hah, Hah, you fell for it Syt; it's actually an ad for Eno late 1970s series of airport ambient albums - Purina vols. 1-7.  :bowler:
:D

Eddie Teach

I don't think Eno (or anyone, really) is cool enough to do that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: Josquius on November 24, 2022, 03:44:26 PMSurprised the UK holds so steady. I've read much that suggests gen z don't drink.
This suggests someone on the other end is picking up the slack.

I feel like other metrics would probably be more useful for alcohol consumption.

Ten liters a year could mean both a glass of wine with your meal, or heavy binging on weekends. And I would think the health impact of the latter would be much higher than the former.
And as you say a lot of people who rarely drink might mask a significant amount of heavy drinkers.

Josquius

Ukraine related, a interesting look at the untranslatable Russian word vranyo which describes well trumpies as well as putin. Maybe we need to borrow it to English.

https://glossophilia.org/2018/09/vranyo-a-previously-untranslatable-russian-word/
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on November 27, 2022, 11:54:13 AMI feel like other metrics would probably be more useful for alcohol consumption.

Ten liters a year could mean both a glass of wine with your meal, or heavy binging on weekends. And I would think the health impact of the latter would be much higher than the former.
And as you say a lot of people who rarely drink might mask a significant amount of heavy drinkers.
Yeah there's a whole Our World in Data section on alcohol consumption which is really interesting:
https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumption

On a UK level - as with drugs (though less extreme) - there's also a big difference between Scotland and the rest of the UK. Drink related deaths and conditions in the NHS are about 50% higher in Scotland than the rest of the UK, even though consumption levels in general are only a little higher. I suspect precisely because of that difference.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

So, Spanish twitter is having an "Italians yelling at food" moment because Homer put chorizo in his paella in one recent The Simpsons episode  :lol:

Putting chorizo in a paella is utterly disgraceful, mind. It's too strong and will overwhelm the other ingredients.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2022, 07:42:22 AMSo, Spanish twitter is having an "Italians yelling at food" moment because Homer put chorizo in his paella in one recent The Simpsons episode  :lol:

Putting chorizo in a paella is utterly disgraceful, mind. It's too strong and will overwhelm the other ingredients.

I have the feeling that paella is the only dish in Spanish cuisine that gets those reactions. Maybe Valencians are truly fundamentalistic when it comes to it. Mediterranean thing, maybe?

Tamas

This reminds me: is "real" chorizo also drastically sub-par to Hungarian salami, or is it just the British supermarkets versions of it?  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2022, 08:04:21 AMThis reminds me: is "real" chorizo also drastically sub-par to Hungarian salami, or is it just the British supermarkets versions of it?  :P

I shudder to think what passes for chorizo in British supermarkets.  :P

On the comparison itself, I don't think it's very grounded, salami and chorizo are very different kinds of products.

Admiral Yi

I thought chorizo was originally Mexican, no?

Here it's all minced, not like salami at all.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2022, 08:25:40 AMI thought chorizo was originally Mexican, no?

Mexican chorizo is based on the Spanish one, but it's done in a different way. Spanish chorizo (and Portuguese Chouriço) are made with chopped pork meat and cured with paprika. The Mexican one is minced, cured with chili and might include other meats different than pork. Also, AFAIK, Mexican chorizo is meant to be cooked, while with Spanish chorizo it depends, with some kinds being eaten raw on its own and others meant to be added to other dishes.

Tamas

Ah so its more like a sausage than salami then?

Which means it is inferior to these, then: :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_sausages

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2022, 08:42:18 AMAh so its more like a sausage than salami then?

Which means it is inferior to these, then: :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_sausages

Don't start fights that you can't win.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2022, 08:31:41 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 28, 2022, 08:25:40 AMI thought chorizo was originally Mexican, no?

Mexican chorizo is based on the Spanish one, but it's done in a different way. Spanish chorizo (and Portuguese Chouriço) are made with chopped pork meat and cured with paprika. The Mexican one is minced, cured with chili and might include other meats different than pork. Also, AFAIK, Mexican chorizo is meant to be cooked, while with Spanish chorizo it depends, with some kinds being eaten raw on its own and others meant to be added to other dishes.

:yes: Could not have said it better myself.