News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: bogh on March 09, 2022, 08:22:34 AMI've been playing Napoleons Triumph a few times recently. Bit hard to wrap your head around at first, but it is starting to click and I suspect it will be a great experience once the rules have been fully grogged. Anyone ever play it?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18098/napoleons-triumph

It's a great game, the bluffing aspects of it are so much fun for a system that appears dry but isn't.  It's quite sad that Rachel Simmons retired from designing considering how unique her approach was.

Habbaku

I've played a couple of times and definitely enjoy it. It's a bear of a game due to the intricacy of the rules--everything is written in such a tight form and the game's mechanisms are not exactly widely-shared by anything else in the hobby.

Definitely worth putting the time in.

I know Berkut has been fiddling with Guns of Gettysburg recently, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

Quote from: frunk on March 09, 2022, 09:14:48 AMIt's quite sad that Rachel Simmons retired from designing considering how unique her approach was.

Why did she retire? She only did two games IIRC?

Habbaku

Three, counting Bonaparte and Marengo and Guns of Gettysburg.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Quote from: bogh on March 09, 2022, 09:39:03 AMWhy did she retire?

It's not at all clear, but I'm guessing some combination of real life issues and hitting a wall on a new game, Stavka.

Habbaku

GMT's Vietnam 1965-1975 redux hit the porch today with a lovely thunk. Looks gorgeous.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

We just finished the original Pandemic Legacy in my coop group (we've previously done Imperial Assault, Robinson Crusoe and a couple of others). Tempted by Pandemic Legacy Season 0 (which looks fun), but I think we're go all in and start Gloomhaven (none of us have ever played it). I am a little daunted by the scope of it - and foresee domestic debate on the box size and the shelf space required (sort of clashes with the reigning minimalist Scandinavian design ethos).

The Brain

Quote from: bogh on March 16, 2022, 02:58:55 AMWe just finished the original Pandemic Legacy in my coop group (we've previously done Imperial Assault, Robinson Crusoe and a couple of others). Tempted by Pandemic Legacy Season 0 (which looks fun), but I think we're go all in and start Gloomhaven (none of us have ever played it). I am a little daunted by the scope of it - and foresee domestic debate on the box size and the shelf space required (sort of clashes with the reigning minimalist Scandinavian design ethos).

Gloomhaven is awesome. Took us three years to finish, mind you. If you don't like the box size you can always play online, either with the Tabletop Simulator module or the computer game version.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

bogh

Quote from: The Brain on March 16, 2022, 03:05:59 AMGloomhaven is awesome. Took us three years to finish, mind you. If you don't like the box size you can always play online, either with the Tabletop Simulator module or the computer game version.

Nice. Yeah, this will be a long haul (we're not the fastest group in the world either). I want the cardboard experience, so I'll face down the wife on the physical footprint.

Tamas

Gloomhaven (I only bought the PC version) was a disappointment because I thought I was getting a tactical game with deck builder elements, whereas this game is a puzzle game with deck builder elements.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on March 15, 2022, 08:44:21 PMGMT's Vietnam 1965-1975 redux hit the porch today with a lovely thunk. Looks gorgeous.

It's pretty, but the older heavy stock for the map was better. 

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

What, and ruin the resale value?

11B4V

I got the original and passed on the remake.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2022, 06:03:11 PMI got the original and passed on the remake.

From what I've seen, the changes have been more cosmetic than fundamental; larger components for older eyes, shakier hands.  More colorful for all the Millenials and Zoomers than can't concentrate for shit anymore.