News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Played Brass: Birmingham for the first time last night with the GF.

Just two player, and even with two players, it really, really works. It is definitely one of the better games I've played since, I don't know....John Company?

Two things I like about it the most, in contrast to many Euroes:

1. LOTS of interaction between the players. Everyone shares connections, so it really removes that "lets all play solitaire together" feeling of many Euroes.
2. Most decisions are *hard* decisions. You get that delicious feeling that you can do one of three things, but you need to do four things, and you are not going to get to do any of them quite likely. The game play is open, but you realize quickly that there are rather delightful restrictions in what you can do, and you need a plan, and that plan is almost certainly not going to work, so you better have some flexibility.

Really looking forward to playing again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

:cheers:

Glad you liked. I played it again last night and had another great night 3-handed. It's easily become one of my local group's favorites, and it's usually at its best when everyone is griping about their next move because some SOB just used the last public beer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

I finally got Conquest & Consequence (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/300323/conquest-consequence) to the table with my Triumph & Tragedy buddies. We played the hell out of T&T and this is refreshing, but familiar. I suspect it might even rekindle some of our interest in T&T (and we will probably need to try out the global game sometime for laughs).

It's definitely ahistorical, pretty silly at times and almost impossible to play right in terms of balancing the strength of the other two players, but I enjoy it a lot. Not a brain burner, but just plain fun.

bogh

My Paths of Glory opponent (I've played nobody but him, but we've played probably 15 games by now) came out of the woodwork after a longish hiatus, so we started yet another game yesterday, me being the CP and him the AP. I kept the original line in the West and aggresively reinforced the Eastern front. A little belatedly, he started attacking in the West and opened up the front, taking some pressure of the Russians, who still look very outmatched, even if they haven't really been driven back yet.

I made a few blunders, but the game is definitely still wide open.

Habbaku

Have you ever given Pursuit of Glory a shot, Bogh?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

bogh

I haven't. Being a PoG fan, I've looked at it a little, but the reduced scope dampens my interest. I also feel like I am still so far off mastering PoG that a new take on it isn't really what I am looking for.

Do you rate it? What are the things it does well compared to PoG?

Tamas

Quote from: bogh on April 06, 2022, 02:32:29 AMI haven't. Being a PoG fan, I've looked at it a little, but the reduced scope dampens my interest. I also feel like I am still so far off mastering PoG that a new take on it isn't really what I am looking for.

It has more chrome and is actually a more complex game. The "zoom-in" on the Middle East and the Caucasus is very interesting. My ranking of the "of Glory" games is: Paths, Pursuit, Illusion, but all well worth to be played.

bogh

Quote from: Tamas on April 06, 2022, 03:27:48 AMIt has more chrome and is actually a more complex game. The "zoom-in" on the Middle East and the Caucasus is very interesting. My ranking of the "of Glory" games is: Paths, Pursuit, Illusion, but all well worth to be played.

Thanks. When we need a break from PoG, I'll take a closer look.

Tamas

BTW I remember learning a lot from playing Pursuit against Habs.  :D He was pretty good at grabbing and keeping initiative which seems key with such CDGs - dictate what the opponent has to spend their cards on.

bogh

Yeah. I've played a lot of Twillight Struggle against my PoG opponent and we got to the point where it was all about the initiative and pressure, dictating the game. Our PoG skills aren't there yet (despite numerous plays) - we rarely sustain the momentum or keep the pressure for any prolonged periods. Actually a key indicator for me that there is still lots of learning to do in PoG for us.

Habbaku

Quote from: bogh on April 06, 2022, 02:32:29 AMI haven't. Being a PoG fan, I've looked at it a little, but the reduced scope dampens my interest. I also feel like I am still so far off mastering PoG that a new take on it isn't really what I am looking for.

I rate it significantly higher than PoG for a few reasons, but specifically because I feel it has more historical accuracy and feel it's a more open situation than PoG. I've played way too many games of PoG now, to the point that it's become somewhat scripted for me. I've yet to experience that in Pursuit.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Coming home from school yesterday, my eight-year-old said he wanted to buy Risk. Being highly motivated to encourage that kind of nerdiness, I got a copy from my FLGS this morning. We started setting up, but then he had a baseball game to go to.

Reading the rules (I haven't played for decades) it seems the game is a little less one-dimensional than I remember it. I think my wife, my boy, and I will have some good times playing Risk in the next little while.