News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Risk definitely has some depth to it if the cards are used correctly. Timing the bonuses and the appropriate time on major pushes is almost as good as rolling sixes.

It's a great starter game. :cheers:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PDH

Each year at the beach my nephews and I played RISK.  They would all gang up on me because I was supposedly a grown up, then they would fight like demons amongst themselves.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

I anticipate my wife and boy will habitually gang up on me :lol:

I'll also try to inveigle my father in law to play at least one game. There's nothing beyond explaining the rules that require being able to speak English... and he can scheme with both my boy and wife in Chinese, so it's not unfair on that count either.

And yeah, Habbaku, I think there are some real valuable basic strategic concepts that can be learned from Risk.

grumbler

I ran a simple game theory class (not economics game theory, the regular kind) and, as an experiment, the students decided to play risk with no dice throws:  in every battle, the smaller side was eliminated and the larger side lost the same number of armies as the smaller side.  They went in convinced that luck determined the outcome.

Several games later, it turned out to make no difference in strategy or outcomes.  They proved to themselves that "luck" ultimately balanced out (because there are a lot of die rolls).

We moved on to Diplomacy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

a lot of Fond memories playing board games with the boys. Enjoy!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2022, 06:09:48 PMI ran a simple game theory class (not economics game theory, the regular kind) and, as an experiment, the students decided to play risk with no dice throws:  in every battle, the smaller side was eliminated and the larger side lost the same number of armies as the smaller side.  They went in convinced that luck determined the outcome.

Several games later, it turned out to make no difference in strategy or outcomes.  They proved to themselves that "luck" ultimately balanced out (because there are a lot of die rolls).

We moved on to Diplomacy.
THat is cool.

Did you guys discuss how the absence (or presence) of luck in the particular outcomes influenced tactical choices?

IE, with luck depending on the circumstances, I might risk a attack that only has a 40% chance of success, because I might win.

But take out luck, I will never make that attack because it cannot win, and the outcome is known. Hence I will make different choices.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2022, 10:50:42 AMTHat is cool.

Did you guys discuss how the absence (or presence) of luck in the particular outcomes influenced tactical choices?

IE, with luck depending on the circumstances, I might risk a attack that only has a 40% chance of success, because I might win.

But take out luck, I will never make that attack because it cannot win, and the outcome is known. Hence I will make different choices.

Yeah, the whole point was to see if eliminating the uncertainty changed strategies (we predicted what would happen and then played to see if it did).  Tactics changed but strategy did not.  I seem to recall that the strategy of putting a lot of armies into bottlenecks was less effective, but it's been a long time. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Started playing Clank! Legacy. I guess most people are burned out by Legacy games but Clank is a short fun timewaster and the legacy implementation is nice and so far it's not burdening the base experience.

Tamas

I have wasted like 20 years of my life wargaming without a plexiglass cover over paper maps. OMG what a difference it makes, especially for double-map nightmares.

Habbaku

Now whip out the dry-erase markers for noting important spaces or distances on your plexi.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 06:41:37 AMI have wasted like 20 years of my life wargaming without a plexiglass cover over paper maps. OMG what a difference it makes, especially for double-map nightmares.

What thiccness are you using?

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2022, 08:18:40 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 06:41:37 AMI have wasted like 20 years of my life wargaming without a plexiglass cover over paper maps. OMG what a difference it makes, especially for double-map nightmares.

2mm, thinnest I could find.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 11:54:41 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2022, 08:18:40 AM

2mm, thinnest I could find.

He needs it in hamburgers per La-Z-Boy. :secret:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

I'm trying this from amazon when I get time.

PVC Roll 2mm Thick 30 Inches Frosted Roll 3ft, Clear PVC Sheet, Clear Table Cover Protector, Desk Mat Pad, Plastic Table Cover for Restaurants, PVC Floor Mat

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".