News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-1...
Last post by PDH - September 25, 2022, 04:43:07 PM
Not sure of the veracity of the reports, but twitter has some saying that conscripts are already being shipped to the front.  Supposedly, wives of the conscripts are reporting their husbands are already in the Ukraine.

If true then the Russian command must have used the fictional conscripts charging scene in Enemy at the Gates as a primer.
Off the Record / Re: Italian Politics
Last post by The Larch - September 25, 2022, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 25, 2022, 01:12:22 PMApparently the elections only cracked 51% turnout at 19h, I guess it's on track to be the lowest participation general elections in Italian history.
Well you need to go back to the 2008 general election to find a term that doesn't end up with a technocratic government. I can see how that might not inspire democratic participation.

Turnout has been going down for a while, but it'd still be in the 70s or 80s % for general elections. In 2018 turnout was 73%, and it was already the lowest ever.

Quote from: Josquius on September 25, 2022, 04:29:20 PMI have heard the reason they won is they're the only opposition party. But still. Dangerous times. Putin sees a light.

Being the only true oposition party to the Draghi government did give them a position that allowed them to punch way beyond their weight, yeah. They only got like 4% in the 2018 elections.
Off the Record / Re: Football (Soccer) Thread
Last post by HVC - September 25, 2022, 04:38:48 PM
Future 2022 workd cup champions ( :P ) portugal beat the Czechs 4-0 in the national league

BTW, anyone actually watching/caring about these games?
Last post by Sheilbh - September 25, 2022, 04:37:47 PM
Only opposition party is part of it - I think I said they'd be the obvious beneficiaries of another technica government backed by all the other parties. Because that is the obvious result of one party staying out.

The FdI are the least pro-Putin of the right coalition. Which is key. This is the same constellation of forces (Forza, Lega, post-fascists) as governed Italy in the late 90s, most of the 00s and early 10s. They're even elected with, in many respects, similar messaging and a similar constituency (that the opposition to that hasn't found an alternative message in the last thirty years is both an indictment and a big part of why we're here, again).

The question, I suppose, is to what extent will the same forces and same patterns of a Berlisconi government recur, and to what extent will Meloni manage to do something different (and more dangerous).
Last post by Josquius - September 25, 2022, 04:29:20 PM
So how long are we stuck with the fascists?

I have heard the reason they won is they're the only opposition party. But still. Dangerous times. Putin sees a light.
Last post by Sheilbh - September 25, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 25, 2022, 01:12:22 PMApparently the elections only cracked 51% turnout at 19h, I guess it's on track to be the lowest participation general elections in Italian history.
Well you need to go back to the 2008 general election to find a term that doesn't end up with a technocratic government. I can see how that might not inspire democratic participation.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Josquius - September 25, 2022, 04:16:23 PM
A theory I've heard mooted which makes a lot of sense... The tories know what they're doing is shit.
They also know they're going to lose the next election so are engaging in scorched earth tactics to stop Labour doing anything progressive that isn't just mending things and give valuable attack lines.
Which already starts.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KwasiKwarteng/status/1573571412241121280
Off the Record / Re: The Off Topic Topic
Last post by Josquius - September 25, 2022, 03:59:35 PM
I remember reading not too long ago that something crazy like 20% of Lithuanians are in the UK.

I'm surprised Spain is so universally number 1. Considering overnight trips count would think there'd be a lot more countries with just their immediate neighbour.
Off the Record / Re: Property prices thread
Last post by Valmy - September 25, 2022, 03:59:27 PM
Illinois is clearly the place to live if you want a house.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Tamas - September 25, 2022, 03:58:12 PM
QuoteThe pound has hit a new 37-year low after the bonanza of tax cuts and spending measures in Kwasi Kwarteng's mini-budget threatened to undermine confidence in the UK.

Sterling fell to $1.077 in early trading when Asia-Pacific markets opened after the weekend, closer to parity with the US dollar.