News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Crosby's contract structure is very simple. 3 years at 12 millions, 3 years at 10.9 millions, a year at 10 millions, a year at 9 millions, a year at 9.6 millions, another year at 9 millions and; 3 years at 3 millions.

The 9.6 millions year is key to allow for the 3 millions years.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sidney-crosby
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2023, 05:37:58 PMCrosby's contract structure is very simple. 3 years at 12 millions, 3 years at 10.9 millions, a year at 10 millions, a year at 9 millions, a year at 9.6 millions, another year at 9 millions and; 3 years at 3 millions.

Yes, but when you look at the column "Cap hit", it's always 8.7M$/year.

I thought his contract was designed so that later in his career the team would have room to hire another top player under the cap. 

I thought it was the real value of the yearly contract that was counting, but it seems it's the average over the years.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2023, 06:11:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2023, 05:37:58 PMCrosby's contract structure is very simple. 3 years at 12 millions, 3 years at 10.9 millions, a year at 10 millions, a year at 9 millions, a year at 9.6 millions, another year at 9 millions and; 3 years at 3 millions.

Yes, but when you look at the column "Cap hit", it's always 8.7M$/year.

I thought his contract was designed so that later in his career the team would have room to hire another top player under the cap. 

I thought it was the real value of the yearly contract that was counting, but it seems it's the average over the years.

It's one of those back-diving contracts that are explicitly disallowed under the new(ish) CBA signed in 2012.  The cap hit is always the average salary over time, but the really low salary in the later years is what lowers the overall average.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Glad Florida didn't win*, annoyed that Vegas did :lol:

*sorry GF, but Tkachuk deserves bad things to happen to him.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Sure but why? He's not Brady.

Barrister

1.  Sorry Habs fans.  Pierre-Luc Dubois signed to an 8 year deal then promptly traded to LA.  So much for the "we can just get him for free in a year".

Almost always the team getting the best player wins the trade, so Winnipeg didn't "win" the trade' but the haul is acceptable for a player who said he wouldn't sign.

2. Hockey website is doing "man on the street" interviews at the NHL Draft in Nashville.  They interview "Kyle from Chicago" who turns out to be Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson.  Pretty funny.

Some of the better lines is when asked how much he knows about hockey on a 1-10 scale, he says "well some people say I don't know a lot about hockey" and gives himself a 4.  Or when he's asked if he thinks the league rigged the Draft Lottery to give Chicago the #1 draft pick...

https://twitter.com/PenaltyBoxRadio/status/1674107713159036939

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2023, 03:04:28 PM1.  Sorry Habs fans.  Pierre-Luc Dubois signed to an 8 year deal then promptly traded to LA.  So much for the "we can just get him for free in a year".
Habs fan.  Singular.
There's only Grey Fox.  Zoupa will now be a Vancouver Canucks fan due to his moving.  He has had to adapt to his new surroundings. :sleep:

Grey Fox

There's always you. Closet Habs fan.

viper37

Barrister

Jets place Blake Wheeler on waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract.

End of an era.  He's the last remaining former Atlanta Thrasher on the franchise, and the Jets 2.0 second ever captain.

Probably the right move but he'll be missed.  Wheeler released a video saying how much it was an honour playing for the team.

Barrister

Habs fans / Habs haters might find this interesting.

https://twitter.com/AZCoyotesPR/status/1679521111988641793

Alex Galchenyuk signed as a UFA with Arizona on July 1.  This would be his third time with the team.

Today, 13 days later, Arizona puts his contract on waivers for the purpose of buying it out.  The Coyotes decline to comment further, although a source said it had to do with "personal issues".

Grey Fox

Probably not a in a good head space. Sad to see a career end in this way. However, hockey players need to learn to walk away before the sports kills them.

viper37

Galchenyuk: new facts (French text)

Highlights:
- He told police officers he would cut him in pieces, he would end his line, one phone call and he and his family would be dead.  He would cut the kidneys of all his family.
- His dad was on the scene and said he's never seen his son acting like this.

I kinda understand why the Coyotes let him go...

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2023, 03:04:28 PM1.  Sorry Habs fans.  Pierre-Luc Dubois signed to an 8 year deal then promptly traded to LA.  So much for the "we can just get him for free in a year".

Almost always the team getting the best player wins the trade, so Winnipeg didn't "win" the trade' but the haul is acceptable for a player who said he wouldn't sign.
More details on PLD's trade.  It's in French, use Google translate for the full translation, I'm only going to translate the relevant part.
New details emerged in Pier-Luc Dubois' file

Quote« Décider où je voulais passer la majorité de ma carrière, c'est un choix que je voulais faire par moi-même. J'ai passé de belles années à Winnipeg, mais j'étais à un an de pouvoir décider où je voulais être. [...] Pour moi, c'était Los Angeles, peu importe le prix. On aurait pu avoir un peu plus ailleurs, mais ce n'était pas vraiment important pour moi. Il y avait quelques équipes qui m'intéressaient, mais je ne veux pas rentrer dans les détails.»
Pierre-Luc Dubois, 98,5 fm

Deciding where I would spend most of my carrer, it was a choice I wanted to make by myself. I spent a lot of good years in Winnipeg, but I was one year away from being able to decide where I'd like to be [...].  To me, it was LA, no matter the cost. We could have gotten a little more elsewhere, but it wasn't that important to me.  There were a few teams of interest to me, but I won't go into details.

- Pier-Luc Dubois, 98,5 FM.

QuoteInterrogé à savoir si le Canadien avait démontré un intérêt significatif envers lui, Dubois s'est tout simplement contenté de répondre ceci :

Quote« Non, le Canadien ne m'a pas fait d'offre formelle. »
– Pierre-Luc Dubois, 98,5 fm

(Paraphrasing here)
Asked if the Canadiens showed any interest toward him:

No, the Canadiens did not make me a formal offer.
– Pierre-Luc Dubois, 98,5 fm