DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

European 77.5%

Northwestern European 51.6%
French & German 36.3%
  Hesse, Germany
British & Irish 13.4%
  Greater London, United Kingdom
  County Galway, Ireland
+18 regions
Finnish 0.5%

Broadly Northwestern European 1.4%

Southern European 22.2%
Spanish & Portuguese 18.1%
Italian 0. 5%

Broadly Southern European 3.6%

Ashkenazi Jewish 2.2%

Broadly European 1.5%

East Asian & Native American 18.2%
Native American 17.9%
Chinese & Southeast Asian 0.1%
Filipino & Austronesian 0.1%
Broadly East Asian & Native American 0.2%

Western Asian & North African 3.0%
Arab, Egyptian & Levantine 1.2%
Levantine 0.9%
Broadly Arab, Egyptian & Levantine 0.3%

Northern West Asian 0.9%
Iranian, Caucasian & Mesopotamian 0.9%
Broadly Western Asian & North African 0.9%

Sub-Saharan African 0.5%
West African 0.5%

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 31, 2020, 05:51:58 PM
Tyne and Wear includes the original Washington, George Washingtons ancestral home. Could point to a relation there :p
(well. Him and a bunch of other Geordies but hey ho)

It is weird that large cities are always disproportionately marked. Historically they didn't dominate to the extent they do today.
I see two possibilities:
1) Ancestors came from a small village who's now part of a larger city
2) Lots of people from small villages around a larger city eventually moved in that city and modern DNA tests simply compare you with that population, hence the similiraties
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

It's number 2. You guys have relinquished legal control over your own DNA codes for a useless gimmick :p

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on November 01, 2020, 09:50:06 AM
It's number 2. You guys have relinquished legal control over your own DNA codes for a useless gimmick :p
I haven't :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on October 30, 2020, 05:34:55 PM
Do you trust 23 and me more than Ancestry DNA?
Eh, they seem to be about the same, to be honest.  I guess I'd be inclined to trust 23andme slightly more because they are primarily a DNA testing service.  Then again, Ancestry has far more members so potentially more data to aggregate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Cal, if you send me a monthly fee I can send you updates based on criteria that make no sense too.  My rates are reasonable.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

I didn't sign up for either service because I cared about their ethnic analyses. :P

Josquius

A friend has pointed out my heritage has updated their estimates. Showing more regional stuff in their maps.
For me it remains pretty broad, north east england & scotland group, all ireland and scotland group, etc...
His though has one local enough to a small 20km square area in Switzerland.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Seems to have been a lot of updates across the board on these.

23 and me is breaking down within regions a bit better. 97% UK&I and 3% Scandi. Oddly Donegal is the main place in Ireland where I've got the highest matches. Perhaps less due to actual ancestry there and more due to it being very lightly settled by outsiders, being part of Eire, etc....?

My Heritage is more interesting. I keep getting this 10% east european cropping up there.
I can't find it now however but recently read a bit about how there's a typical "Geordie look" of high cheek bones and almond eyes, quite eastern europeany in vibes, and this comes from the fact the Romans had a lot of Dacian troops around these parts.
I wonder whether there is some wonderful mystery in my family history of 19th century Polish refugees making their way over...or if I am just brown bread Northerner and its purely echos of the Dacians through time.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Caliga

To all you bitches who mocked me earlier for paying for these services:  both Ancestry and 23andMe capture health markers too, and you can separately have those analyzed.  Well, my dad had me test him with Ancestry and when I analyzed his health markers via a service called Promethease, it uncovered that he has a rare disease called LG Muscular Dystrophy and that it runs in his family (I'm a carrier, as is my brother and all of our cousins), which after I let him know, he talked to his doctor about and he's now getting some sort of treatment for.  So, fuck all y'all.  Love, Cal.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2023, 04:06:09 PMTo all you bitches who mocked me earlier for paying for these services:  both Ancestry and 23andMe capture health markers too, and you can separately have those analyzed.  Well, my dad had me test him with Ancestry and when I analyzed his health markers via a service called Promethease, it uncovered that he has a rare disease called LG Muscular Dystrophy and that it runs in his family (I'm a carrier, as is my brother and all of our cousins), which after I let him know, he talked to his doctor about and he's now getting some sort of treatment for.  So, fuck all y'all.  Love, Cal.

Dang, Cal- glad they caught it. :console: All the forms of MD suck (my father-in-law has Becker MD that's only started progressing quickly over the last couple of years).
Experience bij!