DNA Sequencing Megathread! Neanderthals, Denisovans and other ancient DNA!

Started by jimmy olsen, November 03, 2013, 07:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

The british history podcast talked a bit about this. And I know I have seen it discussed elsewhere that vikings originated in Scandinavia, but the long campaigns made it a way of life and they picked up a lot of people on the way.

The Brain

All my life I've heard and read that there was a lot of movement and contacts in the Viking world. I don't think I've ever read that Vikings were all blond and blue-eyed. Which long-established truth will they kill next, the horned helmets?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

There is nothing unusual about the notion of cultures expanding via the spread of cultural packages; pots are not people and all that.

I've mentioned this pretty much any time the subject came up, but I am always somewhat skeptical on any theory involving large scale population movements in relatively short periods of time in pre-modern times.  The logistical problems inherent in moving large groups of people tend to be under-rated.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2020, 11:11:35 AM
There is nothing unusual about the notion of cultures expanding via the spread of cultural packages; pots are not people and all that.

I've mentioned this pretty much any time the subject came up, but I am always somewhat skeptical on any theory involving large scale population movements in relatively short periods of time in pre-modern times.  The logistical problems inherent in moving large groups of people tend to be under-rated.

:rolleyes:

They had airports during the revolutionary war!  At the very least there were cruise liners during the Viking age.

Tamas

The article sez the untermensch blood is from before the Viking age started.

The Minsky Moment

What it says is that there was genetic inflow into Scandinavia before, during, and after the Viking Age (the study covers 4000 years of time) and that non-Scandinavians outside Scandinavians adopted "Viking" culture.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
What it says is that there was genetic inflow into Scandinavia before, during, and after the Viking Age (the study covers 4000 years of time) and that non-Scandinavians outside Scandinavians adopted "Viking" culture.

That is pretty common in Europe though. It wasn't like the Celts were some massive invading army so much as they were a culture that spread around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

The Brain

And the Germans. There was a lot of pottery trade in the early 40s.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2020, 06:13:57 AM
I don't think I've ever read that Vikings were all blond and blue-eyed.
I think it's pretty much what I was told in high school.  Well not ALL blond and blue-eyed, but mostly.  And that blue eyed&pale hair people whose ancestors came from Normandy likely had a drop of Viking blood.

I think it's a common myth outside of Scandinavia.

Which long-established truth will they kill next, the horned helmets?
You mean this ain't a true representation of Vikings? :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2020, 04:09:52 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2020, 06:13:57 AM
I don't think I've ever read that Vikings were all blond and blue-eyed.
I think it's pretty much what I was told in high school.  Well not ALL blond and blue-eyed, but mostly.  And that blue eyed&pale hair people whose ancestors came from Normandy likely had a drop of Viking blood.

I think it's a common myth outside of Scandinavia.

Which long-established truth will they kill next, the horned helmets?
You mean this ain't a true representation of Vikings? :(

Clearly not - as can be seen, they are getting their asses kicked by Frenchmen. Totally un-historical.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I decided to check my numbers again. Its curious how 23 and me and my heritage interpret the same numbers so differently.
In 23 and me I'm very boringly overwhelmingly british and Irish - how I wish they'd delve into this a bit more. I've read about how DNA differs across the UK and I don't get why they're not going into this.
80% UK+Ireland, 10% French +German, 2% Scandi, 8% broadly NW European and some funny fragments from West Asia now (my Japanese percentage vanished a while ago-probably an error due to white people in Japan).

My heritage on the other hand.... They slightly break down British however for some bizzare reason into two, English and then Irish, Scottish, and Welsh as one category. Just... No. This doesn't align with science at all.
My Scandi goes up to 9% with 4% Finnish too, the French and German is nowhere to be seen and instead I get  8% Eastern European....

I wish they'd report a bit more on how they came to these numbers.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas