News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2023, 02:18:17 PMThe WWII stuff is fascinating :nerd:

Meanwhile, it seems that Israel has entered a new phase in their operations? I see it reported that communication in Gaza has been shut down (or severely downgraded), and Israel is increasing the volume of attacks.

Has Israel stated any clear objectives at this point?

The objective is to permanently defeat and destroy Hamas.

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 28, 2023, 08:06:58 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2023, 02:18:17 PMThe WWII stuff is fascinating :nerd:

Meanwhile, it seems that Israel has entered a new phase in their operations? I see it reported that communication in Gaza has been shut down (or severely downgraded), and Israel is increasing the volume of attacks.

Has Israel stated any clear objectives at this point?

The objective is to permanently defeat and destroy Hamas.

That's an aspiration, not an objective.  Objectives (in the military sense) are quantifiable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Josquius on October 27, 2023, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 27, 2023, 11:07:37 AMJos I'm not sure if you were on drugs or what happened when you typed that post, but you can't actually be serious when talking about the Soviet invasion of Sakhalin--half of that Island was pre-war Russian territory, there was no amphibious invasion, they were already on the island.

It isn't even remotely comparable to having to land on a hostile beach for a country (USSR) that had minimal sea transport at all.

Legally Karafuto was a full Japanese Prefecture and part of the home islands. This is a fact. A recent fact at the time and likely one disconnected from feelings. But a legal fact nonetheless. Soviet sea transport is irrelevant.

Sad you dodge everything else including mention of the kurils and Northern territories in the same bit just to hone in on what you think is a mistake.

This is a minor issue but I am unclear on why you are blatantly lying. Sakhalin was divided along the 50th parallel, the northern half was a Russian "oblast", there was no amphibious invasion required of South Sakhalin.

There was a small amphibious invasion of a minor outlying island (Kurils) which required a very small force and was not contested.

Trying to present it as evidence the USSR was going to land on the main home islands is either very poorly informed or simple dishonesty.

FWIW this also ignores that Truman had made it clear the USSR was not to invade the Home Islands, and reasonable evidence Stalin considered Truman's stance as credible.

Additionally the USSR drew up plans to invade Hokkaido and the USSR's own high command immediately assessed the plan would not work and was not viable.

There was not going to be a Soviet invasion of Hokkaido.

Josquius

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 29, 2023, 10:51:49 AM
Quote from: Josquius on October 27, 2023, 11:44:18 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 27, 2023, 11:07:37 AMJos I'm not sure if you were on drugs or what happened when you typed that post, but you can't actually be serious when talking about the Soviet invasion of Sakhalin--half of that Island was pre-war Russian territory, there was no amphibious invasion, they were already on the island.

It isn't even remotely comparable to having to land on a hostile beach for a country (USSR) that had minimal sea transport at all.

Legally Karafuto was a full Japanese Prefecture and part of the home islands. This is a fact. A recent fact at the time and likely one disconnected from feelings. But a legal fact nonetheless. Soviet sea transport is irrelevant.

Sad you dodge everything else including mention of the kurils and Northern territories in the same bit just to hone in on what you think is a mistake.

This is a minor issue but I am unclear on why you are blatantly lying. Sakhalin was divided along the 50th parallel, the northern half was a Russian "oblast", there was no amphibious invasion required of South Sakhalin.

I'm confused at what you think is a "lie". That is a particular choice if words.
It's a fact that in 1943 Karafuto/South Sakhalin was made a full Japanese Prefecture, that is legally part of the inner territories, Japan-proper, the home islands.

QuoteThere was a small amphibious invasion of a minor outlying island (Kurils) which required a very small force and was not contested.

The Kurils are a long archipelago on which the Soviets landed on many islands.
Tbh I'm not sure what the legal status of the whole lot was, whether Japan in practice kept a distinction between the northern territories and the rest, but the northern terittoires are to this day de jure part of Hokkaido Prefecture and were thus also part of the inner territories.

And there absolutely was fighting in the kurils
QuoteTrying to present it as evidence the USSR was going to land on the main home islands is either very poorly informed or simple dishonesty.

FWIW this also ignores that Truman had made it clear the USSR was not to invade the Home Islands, and reasonable evidence Stalin considered Truman's stance as credible.

Additionally the USSR drew up plans to invade Hokkaido and the USSR's own high command immediately assessed the plan would not work and was not viable.

There was not going to be a Soviet invasion of Hokkaido.

It doesn't matter whether Soviet tanks rolling down the streets of Tokyo was a realistic possibility of not.
The Japanese certainly believed this was a very real and terrifying threat.

Going into alternate history territory, if the war somehow continued, I don't think the Soviets coming up with and implementing an invasion of hokkaido was too far fetched at all after pulling off the kurile invasions.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Apparently we're already getting progroms in Russia. A mob has assaulted an airport in Daguestan where a plane coming from Israel was landing.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2023, 03:24:41 PMApparently we're already getting progroms in Russia. A mob has assaulted an airport in Daguestan where a plane coming from Israel was landing.

over here they're just marching in the streets and shouting for jews to be gassed. Gotta respect their culture, eh.

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 29, 2023, 05:12:44 PM
Quote from: celedhring on October 29, 2023, 03:24:41 PMApparently we're already getting progroms in Russia. A mob has assaulted an airport in Daguestan where a plane coming from Israel was landing.

over here they're just marching in the streets and shouting for jews to be gassed. Gotta respect their culture, eh.
Freedom of religion is a templar of Western society.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2023, 05:37:52 PM

They just oppose colonialism. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2023, 06:15:11 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2023, 05:37:52 PM

They just oppose colonialism.

Which is why they all deserve to die in the most violent way possible, I suppose.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

No, that's because Arab unity is a myth.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2023, 08:00:42 PMNo, that's because Arab unity is a myth.
Is there anyone who has believed in  that since 1948?

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2023, 08:28:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2023, 08:00:42 PMNo, that's because Arab unity is a myth.
Is there anyone who has believed in  that since 1948?

Seems to me like thousands of western base protestors seem to still believe in it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2023, 06:15:11 PMThey just oppose colonialism.

Decolonization means shoving 3 year olds into Israeli household ovens while the mother watches.

Not that the Israeli supporters will ultimately come out looking good as this war drags on and Israel sieges down Gaza bit by bit over a few years. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Some people in society think that you always have to pick a side. You don't. You don't have to support Gaza just because  you oppose Israel, and vice versa. Example: I strongly support Ukraine in its current war with Russia. If Ukraine carried out an attack on Russian civilians of a similar type and scale as the recent attack on Israel, I would instantly drop my support for Ukraine. I still wouldn't support Russia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

Quote from: The Brain on October 30, 2023, 05:39:39 AMSome people in society think that you always have to pick a side. You don't. You don't have to support Gaza just because  you oppose Israel, and vice versa. Example: I strongly support Ukraine in its current war with Russia. If Ukraine carried out an attack on Russian civilians of a similar type and scale as the recent attack on Israel, I would instantly drop my support for Ukraine. I still wouldn't support Russia.

You have a morally bankrupt standard. Ukraine is well within it's rights to retaliate against Russia and Israel is within it's rights to debilitate Gaza.