News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Israel-Hamas War 2023

Started by Zanza, October 07, 2023, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on November 15, 2023, 07:01:15 AMYeah, I'm feeling about the same.

This shit-show actually implies that all the racist scum were correctish back in the day. Letting in a large number of middle eastern muslims into our midst might have been a gigantic mistake. And I hate that.

Hamas are scum = all muslims are scum?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 07:53:01 AM
Quote from: Threviel on November 15, 2023, 07:01:15 AMYeah, I'm feeling about the same.

This shit-show actually implies that all the racist scum were correctish back in the day. Letting in a large number of middle eastern muslims into our midst might have been a gigantic mistake. And I hate that.

I mean he used the word scum on racists hating on Muslims.

But speaking for myself at least, what I find disturbing is the masses of people (I am assuming not nearly all who think like this bothered to march on the street so their real numbers must be far higher) who are perfectly willing to overlook atrocities by Hamas which were far more vicious and personal yet great in scale, just because it was perpetrated by Palestinians against Jews. And it is hard not to see that this is largely (admittedly not exclusively) based on sectarian/religious loyalties.

Threviel

Quote from: Josquius on November 15, 2023, 07:53:01 AM

No, the vast overwhelming majority of every human group are decent fellows just trying to live their best lives. But there seems to be a sufficient amount of religious fanatics in that group that Swedish politicians are discussing and potentially implementing laws to limit our ability to criticize Islam/Muslims. And that is a dangerous route to go down.

Also they brought with them a gigantic increase in anti-semitism, enough that jews are more or less persecuted in certain cities.

DGuller

I'm with Tamas and Threviel, although I had less distance to cover.  I used to reflexively push back on the victim mentality of some Israeli supporters, but when I realized that the Hamas attack was a PR disaster for Israel and not for Hamas, I also realized that they were mostly right all along.

I now mentally classify the anti-Israelis in the West the same way I classify pro-Russians:  either they're useful idiots who have fallen prey to effective propaganda, or they're awful people sharing the values with the awful people they support, or they support awful people because they cannot break free of their tribal allegiances.

Threviel

Yeah, it's like the saying with nazis. If you willingly share a table with a nazi there are two nazis sitting there.

There's only so many times one can spread Hamas/anti-semite propaganda without being seen as a supporter.

Admiral Yi

It's a fundamental flaw in the anti-colonial/PC/progressive/woke mindset.  It's Manichean, either you're pure good or you're pure evil.  There is no gray.

OttoVonBismarck

A quick way to clear that up is a simple decision tree:

Is a person or entity Muslim?

If yes-->They are pure evil.

If no, it could be some shade of gray.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VxmqUqKYqI

Phone conversation between IDF and Gaza Health Director.

Could be fake I guess.

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 15, 2023, 11:47:30 AMA quick way to clear that up is a simple decision tree:

:rolleyes: Way to inject rationality into my argument, mate.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on November 15, 2023, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 15, 2023, 11:47:30 AMA quick way to clear that up is a simple decision tree:

:rolleyes: Way to inject rationality into my argument, mate.

As much as some on the other team sucks, some on your team suck too :P

The Middle East, where rationality goes to die.,
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

I'm not as angry as some of you guys and I'm not that supportive of Israel but the idea that Jews no longer feel safe in England makes me feel sick and ashamed.

Jacob

A dynamic I wasn't aware of - apparently Israeli generals and other military leaders are aligned with different political parties. And apparently Nethanyahu is leaving managing the war almost entirely with generals who are aligned with him politically.

Threviel

Here I try and struggle with an argument that muslim extremism is a difficult problem, and I get this kind of supporting comments...

There are no monolithic blocks of evil anywhere, it's all a grey soup where some things stick out with a higher probability to suck. Like a lot of religious extremism. Or political extremism.

Threviel

And it's always a social issue. Lots muslims suck because the ones coming from poor shithole countries with poor education and lots of endemic violence have a higher probability to suck. Christians from the same area suck just as much.

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on November 15, 2023, 12:50:47 PMAnd it's always a social issue. Lots muslims suck because the ones coming from poor shithole countries with poor education and lots of endemic violence have a higher probability to suck. Christians from the same area suck just as much.

Yes, I think this is an important point.