News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Refractory Gauls, or the F...
Last post by Sheilbh - July 26, 2024, 04:34:12 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 26, 2024, 04:23:22 PMLiked the last bit of the ceremony much better. The boat bits were pretty awful imho. Particularly all those small nations with pitiful boats and then the big countries in their large superyachts. Not a good look :D

We don't have an Olympics thread?
Although Bhutan's boat was tiny but lovely.

Also the thing I found weirdest were the multi-country boats that looked like Thames Clippers - like Germany, Albania and someone else (who is before Algerie) sharing a boat :huh:

I agree. I'm not sure the opening ceremony on the river really worked too well. It was a bit bitty and disconnected. Some were great (Marie Antoinette) but because it was in different locations it didn't really seem like a show. Until the last hour or so once they got to the Eiffel Tower so it was all in one place - and that section was fantastic (although again on issues with rivers - they're quite long so the ghost rider took a while).

And on the rain - feel very, very sorry for Paris because this is just dreadful luck :lol:
Off the Record / Re: 2024 US Presidential Elect...
Last post by crazy canuck - July 26, 2024, 04:30:45 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 26, 2024, 04:13:17 PMMove to the Hamas thread please.

Seconded
Last post by celedhring - July 26, 2024, 04:23:22 PM
Liked the last bit of the ceremony much better. The boat bits were pretty awful imho. Particularly all those small nations with pitiful boats and then the big countries in their large superyachts. Not a good look :D

We don't have an Olympics thread?
Gaming HQ / Re: New Paradox Tinto Game - "...
Last post by Norgy - July 26, 2024, 04:22:01 PM
Too thick around the ankles.
Off the Record / Re: Hungarian Politics
Last post by Tamas - July 26, 2024, 04:19:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 12:57:37 PMSomething for this thread or EU thread. But read a bit in Forbes on national security concerns in the rest of the Schengen area after Hungary's extending guest worker "national cards" to Russians and Belarussians from July.

Yeah that's potentially huge.
Off the Record / Re: Songs you don't like to ad...
Last post by Rex Francorum - July 26, 2024, 04:15:36 PM
Not a song per se. I only listen to classical music. In that field, Canadian anthem. I love it musically.
Last post by Tamas - July 26, 2024, 04:13:17 PM
Move to the Hamas thread please.
Last post by Grey Fox - July 26, 2024, 03:47:46 PM
They're in paradise on earth, Tahiti. They are the lucky ones.
Last post by garbon - July 26, 2024, 03:41:14 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2024, 03:19:23 PMI saw that the surfing competitions are being held not in Paris exactly (which makes sense) ... but French Polynesia :lol:

"Fuck those guys, we want them as far from the Games as possible!"

Better waves, darling.
Last post by The Minsky Moment - July 26, 2024, 03:40:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2024, 01:56:47 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2024, 09:51:50 AMWhat's does a "land grab" even mean when Israel already has jurisdiction over Gaza?

The same thing they're doing over in the West Bank, really.  Grab as much territory as possible by expelling the local population, then declare it's Israeli national territory and send its own people to live there.  All in peace and harmony, according to some.

What does that have to do with the war in Gaza?