News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A question about hobbies

Started by merithyn, June 13, 2013, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percent of your total income do you spend on your hobbies per anum?

0-5%
6-10%
11-15%
>15%
More than I'm willing to admit
It's impossible to figure out

merithyn

As I gear up for a summer that involves doing a lot of my personal hobbies, I'm working really hard not to spend a lot of money doing so. It's harder than I realized.  :blush:

It also made me wonder. How much of your income do you spend on your hobbies per year?

For the record, I probably spend about 10% of my income on my hobbies.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

These days?  Practically nil  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 11:30:41 AM
These days?  Practically nil  :(

Yeah, the only reason I'm able to now is because my kids are almost all grown. I get to spend my money on me, now. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

1 or 2% Most of my hobbies are playing video games, unless taking care of the house can somehow count.

It used to be higher but I had to quit playing Paintball regularly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Varies depending on mood. 5% would be a good average for all.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

If travelling is a hobby then about 10-15%. And if I include cycling then its a bit more. :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I guess it depends on what one considers a hobby. Personally, I'm considering money spent in a year beyond basics like food, shelter, transportation, and money going into savings. If that's the case then I'm probably near that 15% mark but that number can very depending on where you put my alcohol budget. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Impossible question. What counts as a hobby. I pay more than basic food price so I can eat ramen and other good stuff, thats kind of a hobby...
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2013, 11:53:59 AM
Impossible question. What counts as a hobby. I pay more than basic food price so I can eat ramen and other good stuff, thats kind of a hobby...

Dont over think it. It's not that hard.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

My hobbies are cheap. A plastic man here, a book there. Plus I work full time and have no kids.

Er...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Umm Dwarf Fortress is free. But whiskey is not. I'd say average.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on June 13, 2013, 12:08:02 PM
My hobbies are cheap. A plastic man here, a book there. Plus I work full time and have no kids.

Er...

Thought those were lead figures. Hey you could also melt those down for casting bullets too. Very flexible hobby. ;)

Sheilbh

My biggest hobby is probably cooking and reading. So quite a lot :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on June 13, 2013, 12:11:27 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 13, 2013, 12:08:02 PM

Er...

Thought those were lead figures. Hey you could also melt those down for casting bullets too. Very flexible hobby. ;)

Some are still lead, but melting would only work on Wicked Witch figures I think.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

If buying books is a hobby, a reasonable amount ...  :blush:

Damn you, Amazon!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius