News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A question about hobbies

Started by merithyn, June 13, 2013, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What percent of your total income do you spend on your hobbies per anum?

0-5%
6-10%
11-15%
>15%
More than I'm willing to admit
It's impossible to figure out

Ideologue

Was spending about 20% building up the blu ray collection, but that's fallen way off as I've begun to run out of reasonably priced shit I want, and also realized how much I was spending.

Maybe 15% now.  I may have chosen the wrong option. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

I can even figure it out, I mean one of my hobbies is offshoot of my work so do i count $ spent on photography as hobby or work expense?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on June 13, 2013, 06:36:03 PM
I can even figure it out, I mean one of my hobbies is offshoot of my work so do i count $ spent on photography as hobby or work expense?

Sure.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on June 13, 2013, 06:08:17 PM
Was spending about 20% building up the blu ray collection, but that's fallen way off as I've begun to run out of reasonably priced shit I want, and also realized how much I was spending.

20%? sweet Jesus.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2013, 07:19:28 PM

20%? sweet Jesus.

You might want to remember that Ide doesn't really eat as much as he just snacks. He might be counting all those bags of chips as part of the Bluray Expenses.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

It varies.  Depends on how much golf I play in a given year and what the Steam Christmas sale has.  :)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 13, 2013, 07:19:28 PM

20%? sweet Jesus.

Yeah, for like a month when they were practically giving shit away in November.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2013, 12:25:06 PM
If buying books is a hobby, a reasonable amount ...  :blush:

Damn you, Amazon!

A'int that a fact.

I have been looking for some Lee .40 S&W/10mm Auto Reloading Dies. All the reloading places are out, nada, zip. Wouldnt you know there they were on Amazon.....SON OF A B........!. Ordered 30 min ago and they come in Saturday. Amazon Prime man! :cool:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Hard to say, but I'd guess around 10-20%, depending on what's considered a hobby.

Back when I was making decent money, it was probably closer to 50%.

Maladict

I'm trying to limit my spending to what I will actually use, on a yearly basis probably something like:
40-50 books
~5 DVDs
~1 computer game
2-3 boardgames
1 model ship
stuff for the bike

and every 5 years or so:
new PC
new camera
new bike

all of the money left (minus savings) is spent on traveling.

Brazen

I pretty much ditched everything including gym membership and online gaming due to global economic collapse - maybe £10 on second-hand DVDs and books a month. Hopefully my pay rise will kick in in time to get my re-enactment shotgun and black power licence before the season's out.

Josquius

Seriously thinking....maybe a third.
A third for living, a third for saving and a third for buying games, travelling, going to gigs, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on June 14, 2013, 08:35:32 AM
black power licence before the season's out.

I am glad they finally started regulating that.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 14, 2013, 09:02:07 AM
Quote from: Brazen on June 14, 2013, 08:35:32 AM
black power licence before the season's out.

I am glad they finally started regulating that.

:lol:

I shudder to think what's the "season" about.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

:lol: :blush:

Too late to redact, but if anyone was worried that should read black powder.