News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Global Warming and Rising Sea Levels

Started by Jacob, June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Of course Wyoming shares.  Our potential disaster is for the world, just like with rising sea levels.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

Have you guys heard that while Humans may  have helped global warming along & we are simply at the tail end of an Ice Age? There's evidence that they last much longer the previously estimated.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2013, 09:17:41 AM
Have you guys heard that while Humans may  have helped global warming along & we are simply at the tail end of an Ice Age? There's evidence that they last much longer the previously estimated.

Yes.  Well we have noticed the temperature going upwards.  A big question was whether it was a natural increase or the result of Al Gore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

It could be both too, don't discredit that one!

MadImmortalMan

The question I guess would be if the underlying trend or human action is the more powerful factor. Or maybe that's not really important at all and we should be thinking about whether or not it's a good idea to somehow try to keep the planet in some sort of climate stasis because it suits our purpose.

Edit: My number is 1524 meters.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

How can we discuss any of that when half the world are a bunch of Religious retards that believe the world was created for US?

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2013, 11:26:41 AM
How can we discuss any of that when half the world are a bunch of Religious retards that believe the world was created for US?

Some of us are religious retards who believe that we were created for the world. :sleep:

That being said, I've long thought along the same lines as MiM.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2013, 11:34:41 AM
Some of us are religious retards who believe that we were created for the world. :sleep:

If that is the case then that was a decision the Creator would surely want back.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 02:35:02 PM
If that is the case then that was a decision the Creator would surely want back.

Maybe we were sent to punish the world for its sins.  Sharks were becoming prideful about their fins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 13, 2013, 11:21:47 AM
The question I guess would be if the underlying trend or human action is the more powerful factor. Or maybe that's not really important at all and we should be thinking about whether or not it's a good idea to somehow try to keep the planet in some sort of climate stasis because it suits our purpose.
Well, we know the sun is not producing more output.  We know we ain't close to the sun.
Basically what's left is:

• change in Earth's magnetic field
  • change in Earth's axis
  • increase CO2 release in the atmosphere
We know for a fact #3 has had effect on Earth's climate in the past.  It's reasonable to assume it still has.
Now we know the only source (the only increase, I mean) is from human source.  There's no more volcano eruption than usual, so that's not the case.  No super volcano either.

In the absence of other reasonable explanations, we should assume that the scientific community who spent years studying this has it right.

Even if they're wrong, what have we to lose?  Less dependance on fossile fuels?  Producing electricity not from gaz or oil but from water, wind or sun?  I don't see how that's bad.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2013, 03:09:01 PM

Even if they're wrong, what have we to lose?  Less dependance on fossile fuels?  Producing electricity not from gaz or oil but from water, wind or sun?  I don't see how that's bad.

It's bad if it's more expensive than the alternative.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on June 12, 2013, 02:06:17 PM
Interactive google map showing the impact of rising sea levels: http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=49.1682,-122.9123&z=6&m=4

It's on Vancouver (my house is fine unitl 50m+ :) ), but you can move it anywhere you want (Denmark is not sitting pretty).

Apparently Anchorage laughs at your puny Rising Sea levels.

At least according to this map there is no change as they don't have us showing up :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

A rise of a few meters would see a lot of former ports on the coast again: Places like Efesus or Miletus. The Thermopiles would be as narrow as they were when the 300 defended them. A couple more meters and the plain below Troy would resemble the one described by Homer as well.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2013, 02:35:02 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2013, 11:34:41 AM

One could say that Global Warming is one way to make that happen.  :tinfoil:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...