News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buddha's New D&D Thread is Groovy, Man.

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, May 26, 2009, 12:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 02, 2009, 09:07:47 PM
My friend subscribes to Wizard's online service that includes a character builder (among other things) that includes all their books and Dragon issues, that does the math and prints out this comprehensive character sheet.  So I have an Eladrin wizard that fire multiple magic missiles per round - each missile does a push+1 - and the damage is 12-18.  I almost don't need anything else. 

When printed the character takes up 8 or 9 sheets.

I'm a Paladin with 18 charisma and 97 hit points. I can use my helm of disintegration and do one D4 damage as my half-elf mage wields his plus-five holy avenger.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2009, 09:59:36 AM
My friend subscribes to Wizard's online service that includes a character builder (among other things) that includes all their books and Dragon issues, that does the math and prints out this comprehensive character sheet.  So I have an Eladrin wizard that fire multiple magic missiles per round - each missile does a push+1 - and the damage is 12-18.  I almost don't need anything else. 

I'm a Paladin with 18 charisma and 97 hit points. I can use my helm of disintegration and do one D4 damage as my half-elf mage wields his plus-five holy avenger.
Mb! Paladins can't use the Helm of Disintegration!
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 03, 2009, 10:14:45 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2009, 09:59:36 AM

Mb! Paladins can't use the Helm of Disintegration!

I'm a black guy then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2009, 10:52:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2009, 10:48:37 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2009, 09:50:08 AM
Maybe, but abuse of office isn't inherently non-lawful.
I really have no idea what you mean by that.  Read the SCC decision in Roncarelli (sp?).
Why are you trying to quote a Supreme Court of Canada decision in a D&D thread?  Have you gone crazy?

That's Lawful Evil, right there.  :lol:

[And yes, I know Roncarelli ... famous pre-Charter case]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

BuddhaRhubarb

toying with resurrecting my 4.0 game ideas. I doubt I'll get those friends who wanted to play last winter, to play over the summer, but maybe... or I might just work on my campaign ideas over the summer. OR I may just sell my 4.0 books, and turn it into a 3.5 campaign... as after 2 + years of playing, I'm starting to get more of a handle on the 3.5 system. And I'm digging it.

Meanwhile over in my Mutants & Masterminds campaign... I'm loving the narrative (Lemurians, Super Nazis, Super Texans, Dreamland encounters and lotsa weirdness.) but disliking the combat system which seems arbitrary and with some powers, counter intuitive. ie: our "Captain Mar-Vell analogue character, Promethean, can't seem to control how much damage he does... He's a high enough ranked character to be a veteran who understands his powers. And he's an experienced player. understands the nuances of strategy.

also the apartment we play in has some sort of anti-20 rolls ward in place. :p

Would like to try Champions or some other superhero RPG to see how the systems compare.
:p

Darth Wagtaros

I liked Champions.  But its been about 12 or 13 years since I've played.
PDH!

Neil

I always found superhero RPGs to be sort of unsatisfying somehow.  I played some Heroes Unlimited back during my teenage years during a brief Palladium kick (the less that's talked about, the better), and I have played the old Marvel Universe RPG from time to time (that was fun).  Champions always turned me off because while it was versatile, character creation was agonizing.  Also, you had to know what you wanted to to with a character in advance.  Me, I've always enjoyed rolling random powers, and then making a character and a background based on that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Of the systems I played I think Marvel had about the best system for super heroes; it was quick paced and light hearted - though the Karma system they used was awful and advancement was next to impossible.

DC was nice too, a little more detailed than Marvel and character creation was more balanced; but you started off as punk.

The worst was GURPS Supers; it had the GURPS overly complicated rules systems and your amazing super hero could end up very dead very quickly.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

The best system I ever played was Rolemaster - mainly because I wasnt a slave to all their charts.  It had the best Roleplay combat system.  As a DM I loved describing what occurred when a player roled a 00 E crit...

saskganesh

we still play Role..er..Chartmaster.

good fights, but the fights can take a long time if they are big. however, we would tend to have less fights as one or two melees a session was very satiating for everyone concerned.
humans were created in their own image

ulmont

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on June 03, 2009, 03:22:23 PM

good fights, but the fights can take a long time if they are big. however, we would tend to have less fights as one or two melees a session was very satiating for everyone concerned.

My perception was that D&D fights look longer in terms of actual time (as people continually chipped away at hps of whatever monster(s) they were fighting) but those battles are essentially repetative actions.  Fights using RM seemed shorter (particularly if critical hits are being made) but there is a lot more going on so they are a lot more engaging.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malicious Intent on June 03, 2009, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 03, 2009, 03:39:31 PM

Rollmaster.

Rulemaster.

Try to be at least a bit original.  You might have noticed that the reason I enjoyed it so much is that I didnt slavishly follow all the Charts.  Anybody that does that only has themselves to blame. :P

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 03, 2009, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: Malicious Intent on June 03, 2009, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 03, 2009, 03:39:31 PM

Rollmaster.

Rulemaster.

Try to be at least a bit original.  You might have noticed that the reason I enjoyed it so much is that I didnt slavishly follow all the Charts.  Anybody that does that only has themselves to blame. :P

That's true of every RPG, of course. You just need a good grasp of the rules really, and some imagination. :thumbsup:

This is my favourite thread these days.

What other RPGs are popular with the :nerd: kind these days? Anything glaringly cool ?
:p