News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So... Mod Organizer 2 or Vortex?

Started by grumbler, February 02, 2019, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Now that they've both been out for a while, I'm interested in consolidating my many mod tools into one, but find myself torn between MO2 and Vortex as the final product.

MO2 seems easier to understand, with separate mods and clear linkages between the esp and the source mod.  I can easily track which mods are really active in each profile.  I can easily open any mod to see what it has, and decide which .esps to activate.

Vortex tracks mod interactions really well and allows one to easily define their relationships on the fly, but that takes a lot of time and one doesn't always know which relationship is best.  There isn't a clear link between mods and .esps. 

What do you use, and why?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I use Vortex, mainly because I've never heard of the other one ;P Integration with Nexus makes it a breeze to use.

grumbler

Mod Organizer 2 is the second-generation version of the mod organizer created by the guy (Tannin) Nexus hired to create vortex (his associates continued with MO2).  The big difference is that it has physical, not software, profiles.  It is much easier to see which .esps are from what mods (and, because they have separate folders, each mod is easy to view and update).  MO2 is also integrated into Nexus.

Vortex seems easier to use, MO2 to understand (no black box operations like "deployment").  Since you use Vortex (more than me, for sure), have you run into any issues that make you wish it could do more/better things?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Vortex is the new name for Nexus Mod Manager right? To be honest I preferred the look and feel of NMM. I've used NMM for years, mainly for Skyrim and X-Com mods.

I'm not the best person to ask unfortunately... I mainly hit download, activate, and hope everything works correctly. I can't say I'm missing this feature or that one, since my technical know-how is close to nil.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on February 08, 2019, 12:26:21 AM
Vortex is the new name for Nexus Mod Manager right? To be honest I preferred the look and feel of NMM. I've used NMM for years, mainly for Skyrim and X-Com mods.

I'm not the best person to ask unfortunately... I mainly hit download, activate, and hope everything works correctly. I can't say I'm missing this feature or that one, since my technical know-how is close to nil.

Yes, Vortex is the replacement for NMM.  And thanks for the input, even if you don't use the advanced features of Vortex.

Bayraktar!