Former CIA and NSA employee source of intelligence leaks

Started by merithyn, June 09, 2013, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2013, 03:47:53 PM
That has to be some seriously weak argument.  It's probably safely in the Top 10 of the weakest arguments ever uttered on Languish.

It certainly isn't as weak as the argument that reason people disagree with you on this issue because the US exported so much democracy there isn't enough left for the US!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2013, 04:06:49 PM
That has to be some seriously weak argument.  It's probably safely in the Top 10 of the weakest arguments ever uttered on Languish.

It certainly isn't as weak as the argument that reason people disagree with you on this issue because the US exported so much democracy there isn't enough left for the US!  :lol:
:hmm: No, that one's weaker.  Mine was a joke, whereas Minsky's comment, while very comical, wasn't.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2013, 04:13:14 PM
:hmm: No, that one's weaker.  Mine was a joke, whereas Minsky's comment, while very comical, wasn't.

Please elaborate.  I don't get what your point is.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

If this thread is representative of US opinion it will become about him , simply because hardly anyone cares about the program itself.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2013, 04:15:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2013, 04:13:14 PM

Please elaborate.  I don't get what your point is.
Minksy is accusing Snowden of hypocrisy, because he was in effect spying on the company that was spying on people.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 04:15:53 PM
Meh I hope this does not become about Snowden.
That was his worry as he announced his name to overexcitable activist Glenn Greenwald and the Guardian.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

I guess it must be since apparantly it falls of its own accord, without any need of a counter!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2013, 05:27:11 PM

I guess it must be since apparantly it falls of its own accord, without any need of a counter!
By your logic, a cop who shoots a mass murderer during the rampage is a hypocrite.  So, yeah. :yes:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2013, 05:49:20 PM
By your logic, a cop who shoots a mass murderer during the rampage is a hypocrite.  So, yeah. :yes:
Given the amount it looks like the Guardian will have to walk this story back, what's the rampage?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on June 13, 2013, 05:49:20 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2013, 05:27:11 PM

No that is not my logic.  Some other logic is being employed there.
A cop who shoots a mass murderer is going his job of protecting the public.  Mass murderers OTOH do not protect the public.

Snowden's beef is that the government has arrogated to itself the unchecked discretion of deciding which private details will be kept private and which will be snooped upon.  He views this as an abuse of power.
But Snowden is doing the same thing.  He was entrusted with secrets he swore to keep.  And he has arrogating to himself the unchecked discretion of deciding which secrets he will actually keep and which to reveal to the world. 
Between the two, at least the government has a patina of legitimacy, since their decisions are directed and supervised by elected officials and take place within a framework of laws and theoretical checks and balances.  Snowden OTOH is just a rogue free agent with his own subjective moral sense as his only guide and check.
The fact that he is now revealing details about intelligence operations that do not affect the privacy rights of Americans (indeed perhaps the privacy rights of any individual at all) illustrates the potential danger of abuse of power that exists once one endorses the concept of each person with a security clearance being justified in deciding what secrets are worthy of staying secrets and which ones must be revealed for the sake of the common good.

The fact is that is Snowden was really what he says he is, and truly motivated by the desire to stop abuse and nothing else, he would have brought his evidence first to a sympathetic ear on one of the Intel committees before taking the extraordinary step of fleeing to the territory of his nation's most powerful strategic competitor and issuing press releases.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson