Misplaced Honor: US bases named after rebel mediocrities

Started by jimmy olsen, June 05, 2013, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Why does Seedy have so much contempt for minorities?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2013, 11:50:14 PM

He just wants the good ol' days where white folk helped the poor coloreds who couldn't do nothing for themselves, if they had even known how.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 09, 2013, 11:57:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 09, 2013, 11:50:14 PM

He just wants the good ol' days where white folk helped the poor coloreds who couldn't do nothing for themselves, if they had even known how.

I thought that was the purpose of Obamacare.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 08, 2013, 12:23:29 PM
It wouldn't matter to you and the rest of the bootstrappers whether they were in the ghetto or on a reservation;  the poor are expected to suck it up, or just suck on it.

I sometimes wonder what country you live in.

Because in the USA, the poor are very much not expected to suck it up, and in fact are given tremendous amounts of help.

Much of which has been rather successful, in the being "poor" today sure isn't much like being "poor" even 50 years ago.

I don't get this bizarro world concept of the poor who get no help - which poor would that be?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Agelastus on June 06, 2013, 05:34:37 AM
And as an aside, I thought Bragg's reputation as a general had been largely rehabilitated over the last few years?

Because he lost with such pizzaz?  I mean anybody who fails to beat a truly horrendous general like Don Carlos Buell cannot be anything special.

I found the Hood apologism hilarous.  Whatever you might think of his brillaint tactical skills of 'CHARGE!!!!1111' you cannot rehabilitate his performance in Atlanta and in the invasion of Tennessee.  He was one of the Union's best assets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

The Army should sell the names for sponsorships. Fort Avis Rent-a-Car.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 10, 2013, 01:10:24 PM

Then we're at risk of the inevitable sordid public debate over whether to allow Fort Huawei, Mercedes Benz Naval Air Station, and Camp Toyota.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

Then we're at risk of the inevitable sordid public debate over whether to allow Fort Huawei, Mercedes Benz Naval Air Station, and Camp Toyota.

I don't see the problem. Apart from the former, we're protecting the rest of those anyway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 10, 2013, 04:00:34 PM

And the PR disasters related to the headline

"Yesterday a Soldier based out of Ft. MicroSoft was found guilty of murdering 5 innocent civilians in the Afghan village of Achmachost."
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I always thought the lionizing of traitors was strange.  I mean, we don't have an Alfred Rosenberg highschool.

EDIT:  It seems his name was actually Julius Rosenberg.  Whatever.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2013, 08:02:33 PM
I always thought the lionizing of traitors was strange.  I mean, we don't have an Alfred Rosenberg highschool.

Read your country's history.  You'll understand better in time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

We do have a state and national capital named after George Washington however. :yawn:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 12, 2013, 08:14:00 PM

We do have a state and national capital named after George Washington however. :yawn:

It's not treason when you win :contract:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I think every base in Virginia should be named after George Thomas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

There should be a fort in Miami named after Philip Michael Thomas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?