Student scolded for saving a life; School doesn’t ‘condone heroics’

Started by jimmy olsen, June 04, 2013, 05:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

If you don't know whether your destination is Cuba or death, then doesn't it make sense to fight?   :huh:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

DontSayBanana

Have you guys figured out you're arguing the same side?  Sheep could be a good word for both extremes here, since both extremes involve acting (or inaction, as the case may be) as a matter of policy instead of evaluating the situation for what it is.
Experience bij!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on June 07, 2013, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 07, 2013, 02:23:04 PM

Generally speaking, schools often will simply impose the same discipline on both participants in a fight regardless. It's the course of least resistance. Teachers etc. lack the ability or willingness to reliably play dectective.

In my experience, many (though not all) teachers and others in the educational system lack the ability to reliably tell their asses from holes in the ground.

I suppose that explains much.  Thankfully most people had better teachers than the ones who taught you.

PDH

To be fair to dps I teach a lot of Ed Majors in my Western Civilization class.  They are often the types to be unable to pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on June 09, 2013, 01:23:00 PM
They are often the types to be unable to pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.

:lol:

I have to remember that one.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

You can't reject an analogy for magnitude.  That's how analogies work best.  Stop being so fucking stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on June 09, 2013, 01:23:00 PM
To be fair to dps I teach a lot of Ed Majors in my Western Civilization class.  They are often the types to be unable to pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.
Oh, I have no doubt about that.  I taught in public schools, and the only thing worse than the teachers were the administrators.  But I'd bet that even people who teach Western Civ at college levels (as I have done) want more money.  I teach at the High School level and said I wouldn't teach a second AP course without more money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't teach, administrate.
Those who can't administrate get elected to the school board.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM