Mancow gets waterboarded, lasts 6 seconds, and says waterboarding is torture

Started by Drakken, May 25, 2009, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 25, 2009, 03:16:21 PM
Hitchens set out to with the idea that waterboarding was torture, and, (surpise, surprise) discovered that it was.  Muller set out to prove it was not torture, and concluded that it was.  This case is thus far more interesting than that of Hitchens.

What is interesting is that iirc Hitchens lasted longer than Mancow, and was still so embarrassed that he didn't last longer he had them waterboard him again to see if he could get a better time. Maybe that shows Hitchens has some intellectual honesty, or maybe Mancow is just a pansy.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2009, 01:35:28 PM
I figured being named Mancow would be torture enough.  If I had that name I'd never leave the house.

What kind of name would get you to get out of the house?

HVC

Quote from: dps on May 25, 2009, 09:24:31 PM
I figured being named Mancow would be torture enough.  If I had that name I'd never leave the house.

E. V. Icted
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on May 25, 2009, 09:17:06 PM
What is interesting is that iirc Hitchens lasted longer than Mancow, and was still so embarrassed that he didn't last longer he had them waterboard him again to see if he could get a better time. Maybe that shows Hitchens has some intellectual honesty, or maybe Mancow is just a pansy.

:huh:

I saw the clip of Hitchens getting waterboarded and it looked like he made the safety signal immediately.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: HVC on May 25, 2009, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: dps on May 25, 2009, 09:24:31 PM

E. V. Icted

:lol:

grumbler

What is interesting is that iirc Hitchens lasted longer than Mancow, and was still so embarrassed that he didn't last longer he had them waterboard him again to see if he could get a better time.
Hitchens tells that story, but it means nothing.  Mullier wasn't trying to hold out, he was trying to show that the actual effect of waterboarding, when you inhale, isn't torture.  So this is apples and oranges.
QuoteMaybe that shows Hitchens has some intellectual honesty, or maybe Mancow is just a pansy.
:lol:  Talk about leaping to delusions!  This shows nothing about "intellectual honesty" nor who is a "pansy."  It shows that two people with diametrically opposing reasons for undergoing waterboarding agree that it is torture.  If it were to show anyone having "intellectual honesty," that would be Muller, who actually changed his mind based on the evidence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 25, 2009, 10:39:53 PM

:huh:

I saw the clip of Hitchens getting waterboarded and it looked like he made the safety signal immediately.

Supposedly he lasted 19 seconds. I didn't see the clip.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 26, 2009, 05:11:02 AM
What is interesting is that iirc Hitchens lasted longer than Mancow, and was still so embarrassed that he didn't last longer he had them waterboard him again to see if he could get a better time.
Hitchens tells that story, but it means nothing.  Mullier wasn't trying to hold out, he was trying to show that the actual effect of waterboarding, when you inhale, isn't torture.  So this is apples and oranges.
QuoteMaybe that shows Hitchens has some intellectual honesty, or maybe Mancow is just a pansy.
:lol:  Talk about leaping to delusions!  This shows nothing about "intellectual honesty" nor who is a "pansy."  It shows that two people with diametrically opposing reasons for undergoing waterboarding agree that it is torture.  If it were to show anyone having "intellectual honesty," that would be Muller, who actually changed his mind based on the evidence.

You are forgetting that the torture hierarchy is defined by how long you can endure the torture. So, for example,

Chinese Water Torture < waterboarding < disembowlment.

You can read all about it here: www.tortureexplainer.com.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 26, 2009, 06:40:25 AM
You are forgetting that the torture hierarchy is defined by how long you can endure the torture. So, for example,

Chinese Water Torture < waterboarding < disembowlment.

You can read all about it here: www.tortureexplainer.com.
You are forgetting that I don't care about some bozo's concept of "the torture hierarchy," even supposing that there was an actual website at www.tortureexplainer.com.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Fireblade on May 25, 2009, 08:01:12 PM
I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh because I'm not some welfare queen Republican who has the time for sit around listening to the radio at 11am. Liberals have REAL jobs.
:lmfao:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Anyhoo, I don't know that we have enough data to draw any conclusions.  I propose waterboarding Mancow several hundred more times and average out the times he lasts.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

AnchorClanker

Richard Armitage was also waterboarded, when he was in the Navy, and he's also stated that it was torture.
... and... he said this a LONG time ago.   :lol:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Berkut

Is there really anyone claiming that waterboarding isn't torture anymore?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned