Turkish police use tear gas, injure dozens in break up of protests

Started by Syt, June 01, 2013, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on June 04, 2013, 04:07:19 AM
What is Erdogan doing specifically that makes some posters here characterize him as on the verge of instituting a theocracy? 

And in particular, egregious enough to justify a dictatorship?

His nasty habit of imprisoning journalists and having them sacked when they displease him is a good start to the list.
The comparison to Putin is eerie, down to the plan to shuttle between PM and President.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/twitter-lies-deadlier-than-car-bombs-ruling-party-official.aspx?pageID=238&nID=48567&NewsCatID=341

QuoteSocial media, the supreme arsenal of the demonstrators at the Gezi Park protests, is now being targeted by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) for working against society's "serenity and peace," and the government is now seeking ways to restrict it.

After Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called Twitter a "plague," the government has moved to bring certain legal regulations to the use of social media. Following the snowballing impact it engendered in organizing the Gezi Park protests, Erdoğan is reportedly considering precautions to take, as discussed during an emergency meeting of the Central Decision and Executive Council (MKYK) of the AKP on June 8.

The AKP's vice chairman of media and public relations responsible for social media, Ali Şahin, hinted at a "legal regulation" to "set social media in order." "Social media must be brought under order and regularity ... A legal regulation could be made. People must be held responsible for the content they write. If as a result of a tweet they write, people loot shops and burn vehicles, the one who wrote it must bear its costs," Şahin told the Hürriyet Daily News yesterday.

BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE NOT FORCEFUL SECULARISTS!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Tamas

Reports (and photos made with mobile photos) indicate that in the "çağlayan" courthouse whatever that may be, lawyers who went to work and could be IDed as having protested, are being arrested.

Psellus' democratic hero in action again :P

Razgovory

I'm curious Tamas, would you support the Hungarian communists against Orban?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2013, 07:55:25 AM

There is no real difference between the communists and Orban except for the cover their wrap around the same shit, so no.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 07:59:54 AM

There is no real difference between the communists and Orban except for the cover their wrap around the same shit, so no.

Living under Orban is the same as living under Communist rule?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2013, 08:13:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 07:59:54 AM

Living under Orban is the same as living under Communist rule?

We are getting there. And you are just barely back, don't start Razzism right away.

If you want to celebrate Erdogan as a hero of freedom, do not let me stop you. I will enjoy the "told you so!"s I have been enjoying already.

Razgovory

So they aren't actually the same, they are just "getting there".  You can save the "I told you so" for when it Turkey actually becomes a theocracy.  What will you say if Erdogan steps down?

Tamas

Go on Raz, please keep explaining the Hungarian political situation to me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2013, 08:23:45 AM
Go on Raz, please keep explaining the Hungarian political situation to me.

I'm only making observations based on what you tell me.

Tamas

Anyways!

Communist opressor-wannabe lawyers are arrested at their workplace by the police of the democratic Prime Minister, for their participation in the evil protests:

Tamas

Iormlund

Heh. I hope my bro's soon to be wife is not on Teh List™. She works for a defence contractor ...