News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sci-fi/Fantasy recommendations

Started by Sheilbh, May 30, 2013, 07:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I've had Lord of Light on my shelf for the last few years, just waiting for a chance for me to read it.  I don't get into a fiction mood very often.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on November 06, 2013, 09:58:29 PM
I've had Lord of Light on my shelf for the last few years, just waiting for a chance for me to read it.  I don't get into a fiction mood very often.

Trivia: Allegedly, the fake movie used as a cover in the Iranian embassy hostage rescue was a film version of Lord of Light.

QuoteIn 1979 it was announced that Lord of Light would be made into a 50 million dollar film. It was planned that the sets for the movie would be made permanent and become the core of a science fiction theme park to be built in Aurora, Colorado. Famed comic-book artist/writer/editor Jack Kirby was even contracted to produce artwork for set design. However, due to legal problems the project was never completed.

Parts of the unmade film project—the script and Kirby's set designs—were subsequently acquired by the CIA as cover for the "Canadian Caper": the exfiltration of six US diplomatic staff trapped by the Iranian hostage crisis (in Tehran but outside the embassy compound). The rescue team pretended to be scouting a location in Iran for shooting a Hollywood film from the script, which they had renamed Argo.[4][5] The story of the rescue effort was later told in the 2012 film Argo.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Surely "the Iranian embassy hostage rescue" was in London? Do you mean the American embassy hostage rescue?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

The Iranian embassy hostage rescue was in London.  The Regiment got in trouble for wasting too many people as I recall reading.
PDH!

Malthus

Yes, it was the American embassy in Iran, not the Iraninan embassy. Sorry for confusing the easily confused.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Gups

They killed 5 of the 6 terrorists and none of the hostages. One too few, maybe but hard to see how it could be too many.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2013, 11:36:30 AM
Yes, it was the American embassy in Iran, not the Iraninan embassy. Sorry for confusing the easily confused.  :P

What is "the Iraninan embassy"? Do you mean the Iranian embassy?

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2013, 11:37:46 AM

It is sad to think you probably don't have a better source of amusement.  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2013, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2013, 11:37:46 AM

It is sad to think you probably don't have a better source of amusement.  :(

I find Jews plenty funny thank you.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

I thought you went for the 90 pounders.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Of all the places my thread could end up...
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

In the end they all end up with muscle chicks or stories of MB's bowel movements.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on November 07, 2013, 07:57:13 PM
In the end they all end up with muscle chicks or stories of MB's bowel movements.

I was restraining myself.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive