News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cover letters

Started by Josquius, May 29, 2013, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

I've got another question regarding cover letters. If I've actually been asked to send my CV, should I attach a cover letter as well? Or am I to deduce a cover letter would be redundant (since I've already got their attention). If it makes any difference this would be for a Swedish software consulting firm with offices in Stockholm, London and both Coasts ...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on May 30, 2013, 06:55:17 PM
I've got another question regarding cover letters. If I've actually been asked to send my CV, should I attach a cover letter as well? Or am I to deduce a cover letter would be redundant (since I've already got their attention). If it makes any difference this would be for a Swedish software consulting firm with offices in Stockholm, London and both Coasts ...

I would throw a brief note on there reminding the reader of the particulars of the previous contact.

Razgovory

I wonder what Tyr's dream job would be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

You ever consider a job as a wolf-handler at the zoo?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 30, 2013, 07:23:02 PM
I wonder what Tyr's dream job would be.

Newcastle Ale taste tester.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on May 30, 2013, 06:54:55 PM
Dear Schmuck,

I am writing this letter for no real god damn reason, you will see why when you read my resume.  Hell, I am the best fucking person for your job, I don't even have to prove it.  Just say my name in front of anyone with the balls to actually tell the truth and they will either a) pass out in worshipful awe, or b) tell you to hire me now and make me CEO immediately.  I am that good.

I would bore you with what I have done, but I have done it all.  Fuck, I even did stuff that hadn't been done yet and others are still trying to do it.  Knowledge of your procedures?  I have already done things that will make the next generation of procedures seem obsolete; I am that good.

In closing, if you don't hire me there will be a bunch of business webpages in the future that list you as Number One on the list of "Didn't Hire."

Fuck you anyway, you need me.

Sincerely,

Tyr.
:lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

I have a file that I like to put all cover letters in.  I call it the 'circular file'. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on May 30, 2013, 06:55:17 PM

Write a brief cover letter saying why you are sending your resume and reminding the person about who you are and what the resume is for. Don't assume they remember or care as much as you. 

Something like "Dear _____, as you requested in our [give date] telephone conversation, please find attached my CV for the position of _____.

As you will recall, [details of why you are perfect for the job that you discussed].

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Yours very truly, ________ "
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 08:21:44 AM
I have a file that I like to put all cover letters in.  I call it the 'circular file'. :)

I am sure they are honored to have their cover letters in such an important file :)

I am going to sending out lots of those things soon  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2013, 09:26:47 AM

I am sure they are honored to have their cover letters in such an important file :)

I am going to sending out lots of those things soon  :ph34r:

Dear Cal,

Hook a brother up, why don't you?

Sincerely,
Valmy
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

<_<
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

What about cover letters to Penthouse?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Penthouse?  What is this, 1983? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 01:59:04 PM
Penthouse?  What is this, 1983? :huh:

The year right now is 2013.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.