Spain's $680 Million submarine can only dive, not resurface

Started by Syt, May 27, 2013, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Generally speaking Western militaries are too weak. Only America is halfway decent, but that way lies fatness.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2013, 03:18:10 PM
Things can change fast in geopolitics, but armies take decades to build.  The chance fo an armed confrontation with Russia or China is remote now, but you never know.
If it takes us decades to build an army, it will take them decades to build one too. Enough to time to react accordingly.

Russia is a realistic possible threat. They have nukes, but we don't intend to counter that. As far as conventional arms are concerned, the European Union vastly outproduces Russia in everything and has three times the population. That leaves political will to actually commit military might and that's certainly not there right now. So even if we had a powerful military, we would not commit it anyway.

China is on the other side of the world. No matter what they do, we will never be in an armed confrontation with them. Germany would certainly not do anything but sending strongly worded protest notes if China invaded Taiwan or so.

The Brain

I seem to remember a period when Germany only had 100,000 soldiers. THAT WORKED OUT GREAT
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2013, 03:30:07 PM
Things can change fast in geopolitics, but armies take decades to build.  The chance fo an armed confrontation with Russia or China is remote now, but you never know.
If it takes us decades to build an army, it will take them decades to build one too. Enough to time to react accordingly.

Russia is a realistic possible threat. They have nukes, but we don't intend to counter that. As far as conventional arms are concerned, the European Union vastly outproduces Russia in everything and has three times the population. That leaves political will to actually commit military might and that's certainly not there right now. So even if we had a powerful military, we would not commit it anyway.

China is on the other side of the world. No matter what they do, we will never be in an armed confrontation with them. Germany would certainly not do anything but sending strongly worded protest notes if China invaded Taiwan or so.

But if Germany were to simple abolish it's military, as Alfred was suggesting?

Then all you need is for the next Russian President to decide to start marching troops on Berlin...

Zanza

Alfred said "vast majority" of our military. Compared to the Cold War, when the West German military had about 500k soldiers, we are now down to 185k soldiers, so that's a cut of 63% (and doesn't even consider the East German soldiers of the Cold War). I could see it drop further without risking Russian soldiers marching through Berlin anytime soon and without us losing core military competencies to be able to build up a bigger military if needed.

Oh, and the next Russian president won't be a lunatic, so even if we had no military, he would not just go and try to conquer us. This is the real world, not Civilization.

alfred russel

Also, Belarus and Poland are between Russia and Germany.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
Alfred said "vast majority" of our military. Compared to the Cold War, when the West German military had about 500k soldiers, we are now down to 185k soldiers, so that's a cut of 63% (and doesn't even consider the East German soldiers of the Cold War). I could see it drop further without risking Russian soldiers marching through Berlin anytime soon and without us losing core military competencies to be able to build up a bigger military if needed.

Oh, and the next Russian president won't be a lunatic, so even if we had no military, he would not just go and try to conquer us. This is the real world, not Civilization.

I wish I could be confident of that. :(

sbr

Quote from: Neil on May 27, 2013, 02:54:28 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2013, 01:54:07 PM
The submarine is the only viable naval weapon left. All surface ships are way too easy to hit and sink.
It's not like submarines are any more difficult.  Hell, they don't even need to be hit to sink.

:D

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2013, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2013, 03:05:42 PM

Well, Spain (and Germany) are a part of NATO and are committed to both mutual defence, and on occasion, have entered into military action as part of the alliance in other parts of the world.  Afghanistan is a NATO operation, remember?

Mutual defense doesn't mean so much when neither is threatened by anyone.

Except Spain borders a fairly unstable region of the world. After what's happened in Tunisia, Egypt, Lybia and Syria, who is to say Islamists won't take control of Morocco in the next 20 or 30 years?
The ability to control thousands of miles of coastline might not be important for Germany, but it is for Spain.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on May 27, 2013, 03:30:07 PM

For Hungary, being a weakling 100% dependent on a foreign power to protect us is normal.

But how can you Germans live with that assessment? What you described is that the only reason Russia isn't bullying you to oblivion is that the USA wouldn't let them.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on May 28, 2013, 12:42:20 AM

Well, Spain (and Germany) are a part of NATO and are committed to both mutual defence, and on occasion, have entered into military action as part of the alliance in other parts of the world.  Afghanistan is a NATO operation, remember?

Except Spain borders a fairly unstable region of the world. After what's happened in Tunisia, Egypt, Lybia and Syria, who is to say Islamists won't take control of Morocco in the next 20 or 30 years?
The ability to control thousands of miles of coastline might not be important for Germany, but it is for Spain.

Not to mention having territories away from the main land mass. The Navy will always be the main part of the Spanish military as long as Spain has the Canaries, Ceuta and Melilla.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2013, 06:54:46 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 28, 2013, 12:42:20 AM

Not to mention having territories away from the main land mass. The Navy will always be the main part of the Spanish military as long as Spain has the Canaries, Ceuta and Melilla.

It'll just be at the bottom of the ocean. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.