Spain's $680 Million submarine can only dive, not resurface

Started by Syt, May 27, 2013, 11:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

FWIW, my wife's childhood best friend had the last name of "Jackson" and looks fairly Americanish.  Her ancestors came over on the Mayflower but I forget how her later ancestor(s) ended up in Buenos Aires.

Annoyingly, her dad doesn't speak one word of English and speaks Spanish to me faster than I can process it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

That's easy.  Her ancestor was shot by his own men near a small Virginia village in 1862 while rebelling against the lawful government.  Then the family fled charges of treason to South America.  I mean it is obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

You know that Confederados actually did settle in Brazil after the Civil War, right Valmy?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 10:19:35 AM
You know that Confederados actually did settle in Brazil after the Civil War, right Valmy?

Yep.  That was intended to be an allusion to that :P

Yes I know Argentina != Brazil
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on May 31, 2013, 08:55:35 AM
Quote from: Siege on May 30, 2013, 06:59:07 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2013, 10:41:05 AM
Britain's colonies become Dominions, not a part of the UK.  At any rate, why would Britain want to emulate the failed examples of non-British colonial practices?  Only British practices have produced civilized results.
Indeed.  I always wondered why only the brits managed to create civilized colonies.
What's wrong with Chile and Argentina (at least nowadays)? :hmm:

I was goofing around the other day on Google Street View with what it has for Chile...

The big thing I noticed is that all the housing areas, from innercity ghetto, to sprawling shanty town, to wealthy, newly built suburb is a big contrast from Norte Amerika.  While we usually have wide open, spacious areas facing the street, with easy access to our front entrance...every single home had a gate/fence/wall right at the street blocking all entrances, garages/carports, etc.

Side note:  I noticed the same thing in Russia, too.

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 31, 2013, 02:38:49 PM
The big thing I noticed is that all the housing areas, from innercity ghetto, to sprawling shanty town, to wealthy, newly built suburb is a big contrast from Norte Amerika.  While we usually have wide open, spacious areas facing the street, with easy access to our front entrance...every single home had a gate/fence/wall right at the street blocking all entrances, garages/carports, etc.

Welcome to South America.  It's all like that. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall