Main Menu

Will Taiwan Defect to China?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 25, 2009, 09:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on May 25, 2009, 05:08:29 PM
Wow it would sure be terrible if another source of global discontent was solved without us having to do anything.
:lol:

That was my first thought.  Timmy reading this and screaming "OH MY GOD THIS ISN'T DONE BY US THIS IS TERRIBLE!"
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2009, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 25, 2009, 02:22:15 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 01:21:28 PM
Do you actually think that America could defeat China in a war?
We shut down a few ports and there's a revolution in China fairly quickly, I'd think.  It would mostly be naval, while we supply anti-PRC forces in South-East Asia and the non-Han Eastern provinces.  The trouble is that the Chicoms would be liable to launch their birds well before they loose power.

I think that scenario highly unlikely.  The Chinese have shown themselves recently to be quite patriotic and nationalistic.  In the unlikely event of a US-PRC war I imagine the populace would rush to support the Communist Party.

That's exactly what happened when Hitler invaded the USSR.  Stalin's government was much worse than the current Communist rules of China, and had only been in power 20 years or so at that point.  Yet the populace rallied behind Stalin.
One of the reasons was Hitler's genocidal policies. If he had acted in a more rational fashion Stalin would have had much more trouble.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Wow it would sure be terrible if another source of global discontent was solved without us having to do anything.
20 million people being betrayed into totalitarian slavery is solving a source of global discontent? I see it as one of the worst events to happen in decades.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 05:34:57 PM
One of the reasons was Hitler's genocidal policies. If he had acted in a more rational fashion Stalin would have had much more trouble.

Really disagree.

His genocidal policies weren't really known until later in the war - certainly not in '41 and not amongst the Russian peasantry.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2009, 05:40:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 05:34:57 PM

Really disagree.

His genocidal policies weren't really known until later in the war - certainly not in '41 and not amongst the Russian peasantry.
Well I was thinking more about the Ukrainians than the Russians.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Pat

China has coal, but relies on imports for many other resources including oil. Blockade the narrow strait of Singapore and much of their military-industrial complex will grind to a halt as reserves of strategic resources deplete.

China knows this, of course - hence the Arakan-Kunming pipeline and even the talks of a chinese-controlled canal through the Malay peninsula in Thailand.

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 05:37:07 PM
20 million people being betrayed into totalitarian slavery is solving a source of global discontent? I see it as one of the worst events to happen in decades.
:lmfao:
Totalitarian Slavery?  That's a little harsh even for the Uyghurs and Tibetans, let alone the average Chinese citizen. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Please return defective products to the manufacturer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on May 25, 2009, 05:07:59 PM
Foodstuffs?  The quickest way to have a revolution is to have cities full of poorly educated recent migrants from the countryside with high expectations to suddenly have no food. 
China is very largely food-self-sufficient.  It imports meats, mostly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: miglia on May 25, 2009, 05:56:16 PM
China has coal, but relies on imports for many other resources including oil. Blockade the narrow strait of Singapore and much of their military-industrial complex will grind to a halt as reserves of strategic resources deplete.
That would simply give them a timetable for the conquest of the Southern Resource Area.  I think we have been down this path before.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2009, 05:37:07 PM

The population of China going from 1,320,000,000 to 1,340,000,000 is indeed the worst thing in history.

Hey they gave Hong Kong autonomy they would probably give Taiwan some sort of special deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: miglia on May 25, 2009, 05:56:16 PMeven the talks of a chinese-controlled canal through the Malay peninsula in Thailand.

That could easily be blockaded too. I don't see the point.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

It would make some sense for Taiwan to defect to China, now that China is turning itself into Taiwan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014