Main Menu

New Turkish law clamps down on alcohol

Started by Syt, May 24, 2013, 04:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2013, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2013, 09:52:06 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2013, 07:00:11 AM
Those Turkish restrictions to alcohol don't seem that different from what we have over here.

Seriously?  It seemed like I got pitchers of Sangria with breakfast.  Granted it was summer...

Sangría with breakfast? I know that many of our tourists are of the boozy kind but that's too much.

I don't see how that relates to the new regulations, though.

Welcome to Austin, shithole of Texas.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2013, 09:52:06 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 28, 2013, 07:00:11 AM
Those Turkish restrictions to alcohol don't seem that different from what we have over here.

Seriously?  It seemed like I got pitchers of Sangria with breakfast.  Granted it was summer...

Sangría with breakfast? I know that many of our tourists are of the boozy kind but that's too much.

Well the hours seem a bit odd. I think here most states ban sales in the wee hours of the morning.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Wyoming bars have to be closed between 2am and 6am.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on May 29, 2013, 07:24:17 AM

I think liquor stores/packaged goods stores in Maryland still have to be closed on Sundays.

garbon

Hence "wee hours" :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Well to be fair we slept in a bit :P

My point was it sure did not seem like there were all these social laws and taboos around alcohol consumption.  Wine drinking seemed just as much a cultural thing as in France, where far from charging a 100% tax on alcohol it was subsidized.  But hey maybe Spain is worse than Temperance Hitler, it just seemed odd to me.

Especially since you guys seemed to love staying out all night.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 28, 2013, 05:46:03 PM

Maybe but what does that have to do with my experiences in Spain?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 08:01:56 AM

Well to be fair we slept in a bit :P

My point was it sure did not seem like there were all these social laws and taboos around alcohol consumption.  Wine drinking seemed just as much a cultural thing as in France, where far from charging a 100% tax on alcohol it was subsidized.  But hey maybe Spain is worse than Temperance Hitler, it just seemed odd to me.

Especially since you guys seemed to love staying out all night.

When were you over here? Things have changed a lot in the last 5 years or so. Plenty of places forbid the sale of alcohol after 22h. On shops and supermarkets, mind you, you can always go to a bar, pub or disco and get as hammered as you want.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 08:09:07 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 28, 2013, 05:46:03 PM

Maybe but what does that have to do with my experiences in Spain?

Ed's just jealous because Austin has more culture than Columbus, except during Pride Week.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 29, 2013, 07:26:23 AM

I think liquor stores/packaged goods stores in Maryland still have to be closed on Sundays.

I used to go to State Line Liquors in Elkton to buy beer on Sundays.  Awesome place.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2013, 08:23:31 AM
Things have changed a lot in the last 5 years or so.

Yeah it was back in 2000, we were still using Pesetas.  Unfortunate that the laws have moved in that direction in the past 5 years.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 09:35:10 AM

Yeah it was back in 2000, we were still using Pesetas.  Unfortunate that the laws have moved in that direction in the past 5 years.

Why unfortunate?

There seems to be room for a reasonable and moderate laws implementing some restrictions on the sale and consumption of alcohol...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2013, 08:39:24 AM
I used to go to State Line Liquors in Elkton to buy beer on Sundays.  Awesome place.

Well, you'd know better than I would, since I don't frequent such establishments of moral weakness and foul repute.

edit--looked it up, and it's Baltimore City that doesn't sell booze on Sundays without a special permit for Thanksgiving through Christmas.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2013, 09:40:35 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2013, 09:35:10 AM

Why unfortunate?

There seems to be room for a reasonable and moderate laws implementing some restrictions on the sale and consumption of alcohol...

What's the argument for banning retail sales at times when you can still purchase drinks at restaurants/pubs/bars/etc?