News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Turkish law clamps down on alcohol

Started by Syt, May 24, 2013, 04:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.france24.com/en/20130524-turkish-parliament-passes-law-curbing-alcohol-sales

QuoteTurkish parliament passes law curbing alcohol sales

AFP - Turkey's parliament on Friday passed a controversial law restricting the consumption and advertising of alcohol in the predominantly Muslim country.

The law prohibits alcoholic beverage companies from sponsoring events and restricts the places where such drinks can be consumed. It also bans the sale of alcoholic drinks between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

Supporters of the measure -- introduced by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) party, which has its roots in Islam -- say the law is seeking to protect society, particularly children, from the harmful effects of alcohol.

But critics see it as a sign of creeping conservatism in predominantly Muslim but staunchly secular Turkey and argue the legislation intrudes into private life.

TV series, films or music videos are not allowed to contain images encouraging the consumption of alcohol under the new legislation.

It also brings stricter penalties on drunken driving.

Drivers with a blood alcohol content of more than 0.05 percent will be slapped with a 700-Turkish lira (nearly 300-euro) fine and their driving licenses will be confiscated for a six-month period.

Drunken drivers with a blood alcohol level over 0.1 percent will face up to two years' imprisonment.

The law must be approved by President Abdullah Gul to take effect. He is expected to sign it soon.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's populist government, in power for over a decade, is often accused of creeping efforts to make the country more conservative and pious.

Erdogan, a devout Muslim who does not drink or smoke, said recently that ayran, a non-alcoholic refresher made from yoghurt, was the "national drink" of the Turks.

Turkey is a fiercely secular state, despite being a majority Muslim country. Under Erdogan's rule, headscarves -- banned in public institutions -- have become more visible in public places and alcohol bans more widespread.

With reference to TV, images of alcoholic drinks will have to be blurred/pixelated.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Tamas

So Sheilbh, do you still think this is the government of the new liberal middle class?  :lol:

Neil

Meh.  A Turkish restriction on alcohol is no worse than the way we used to treat alcohol or the way we treat tobacco today.

They would have to do something a little more outrageous to get me calling for the extermination of all Turks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2013, 05:35:08 AM
So Sheilbh, do you still think this is the government of the new liberal middle class?  :lol:

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Before the usual suspects get on their high horse about this, they might want to consider the many restrictions already in place on the advertising of alcohol and smoking in their own country. ;)

Richard Hakluyt

I think this "TV series, films or music videos are not allowed to contain images encouraging the consumption of alcohol under the new legislation" is the one that may have the biggest effect. It implies a cultural distancing from the West which could have big effects over the long term.

I'm all in favour of restricting drink-driving and restricted drinking times created a much better pub culture in England than the relaxed laws we have today.

Syt

It's all for the Public Good(TM).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/us-turkey-alcohol-restrictions-idUSBRE94C0P820130513

QuoteTurkey considers tighter limits on alcohol sale and consumption

(Reuters) - The Turkish government has prepared a draft law that would ban advertising alcoholic drinks in what officials say is an effort to protect children but could further divide religious and secularist Turks.

The bill, which was sent to parliament on Friday, would also ban companies that produce alcohol from sponsoring events, restrict where alcoholic drinks are sold and consumed, and require Turkish producers to place health warnings on packaging.

"Our aim is to protect society, particularly children and youth from taking up these habits at an early age, and not to limit an adult's alcohol consumption," Yahya Akman, a lawmaker in the ruling AK Party and one of the draft's signatorees, told Reuters on Monday.

The move was made only weeks after the conservative prime minister, Tayyip Erdogan, who is known for his dislike of alcohol, declared ayran, a non-alcoholic, yogurt refreshment as the national drink.

It follows a ban on drinks service on several routes flown by state-run Turkish Airlines.

Islam prohibits the consumption of alcohol. Although Turkey's population is 99 percent Muslim, it has a secular constitution. It belongs to NATO and is a candidate for European Union membership.

Many secularist-minded Turks fear tighter rules on drinking could undermine the separation of state and religion.

The bill, expected to become a law before parliament recesses in July, would bar venues that allow the sale and consumption of alcohol from openly displaying the products to people outside.

The government says it is not attempting to interfere in people's lives and is trying to bring Turkey up to European norms by controlling alcohol sales and protecting the younger generation as it negotiates to enter the EU.

"This is to make sure that alcohol consumption is not encouraged among young people. The state has a responsibility to protect the family and the public," Akman said.

Passage of the law would also be another blow to local brewers that are already grappling with taxes that are more than 100 percent on alcohol, one of the highest in the world.

Akman said public health is a higher priority than companies' revenues.

"A company's profit is insignificant when compared with the health of the general public, which is what's at stake here."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Siege

We need to find a way to make moonslims to consume alcohol.
Thie is the reason why they are so violemnt.
Oslo, they need night clubs so theu can pick up girls and stop raping innocent non-moonslim girls.

In other words, Islelam needs to go into the dustbin of history.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Tamas

Public health is also the excuse why they restricted tobacco selling here and concentrated it in the hands of people connected to FIDESZ and the local tobacco company supporting their faction leader.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 24, 2013, 08:57:09 AM
Before the usual suspects get on their high horse about this, they might want to consider the many restrictions already in place on the advertising of alcohol and smoking in their own country. ;)

Yep.  However, I also have to agree with Richard Hakluyt's implication that the restriction on free speech are the most worrying part of the legislation.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on May 27, 2013, 04:38:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 24, 2013, 08:57:09 AM

Yep.  However, I also have to agree with Richard Hakluyt's implication that the restriction on free speech are the most worrying part of the legislation.

Sure, but we also have restructions.  Nothing cigarrette related advertising is permitted at all.  Granted, their restrictions go further than ours.  But if one examines the censorship rules in North American they also make little sense.

I am not arguing that the censorship rules makes sense.  It just that lets not have the pot call the kettle etc...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 24, 2013, 09:04:21 AM
I think this "TV series, films or music videos are not allowed to contain images encouraging the consumption of alcohol under the new legislation" is the one that may have the biggest effect. It implies a cultural distancing from the West which could have big effects over the long term.

I'm all in favour of restricting drink-driving and restricted drinking times created a much better pub culture in England than the relaxed laws we have today.

Seriously?  What fun can you have drinking before 10:00 PM?