Fracking could ruin German beer industry, brewers tell Angela Merkel

Started by Syt, May 24, 2013, 02:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Viking on May 24, 2013, 12:40:20 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 24, 2013, 08:20:16 AM
I don't have any skin in the fracking game but all the unbiased research I've read on it indicates that fracking specifically is not really the problem people think it is. Because of the depths at which fracking is done, there's not really ever been any confirmed evidence deep-well fracking causes anything to permeate up (a vast distance) into the water table. Instead, there is evidence that all natural gas drilling, susceptible to leaks and other problems at the well head can sometimes pollute the water table. Fracking has increased the total amount of drilling, but it's really drilling itself, and not fracking specifically, that is the problem.

It may seem a minor difference, but I find it annoying people seem to believe it is specifically the physical activity specific to fracking that causes water contamination. It isn't, and in fact as deep as fracking actually occurs it is highly unlikely that has any impact on the water table. What makes most sense and is the only thing I've seen confirmed is that like all oil and gas drilling there is a non-zero chance of things happening which can pollute ground water.

Everything above is completely correct.

While there are a few fracking related problems with gas migration (gas moving from the shale into the formation rather than into the well) they are easily dealt with by following regular completion practices.

Facts are not welcome in most of these discussions...
I want cheap gas dammit!

Viking

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on May 24, 2013, 03:16:20 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 24, 2013, 12:40:20 PM

Everything above is completely correct.

While there are a few fracking related problems with gas migration (gas moving from the shale into the formation rather than into the well) they are easily dealt with by following regular completion practices.

Facts are not welcome in most of these discussions...
I want cheap gas dammit!

I was saying that the only fracking specific problem is easily solved by present standard procedures. You can have your cheap gas.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

I support Germany importing their gas from North America.  :cool:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 24, 2013, 05:33:27 PM
I support Germany importing their gas from North America.  :cool:

Lately I've read some articles about how US and European companies are coming to the US for drilling and fracking. With the  large reserves found of natural gas and oil it's making a lot of sense, very enticing. Plus no worrying about drilling in unstable countries, and it's probably cheaper to do business in the US. So in some cases corps are selling assets in other places to move operations to the US. Supposedly the US may out produce the Saudis by 2020 and is already a leader in natural gas, or close to leading. Also read that Russia is feeling the effects for their strong arm tactics in supplying gas to Europe, since some of those countries have good alternatives now with the US.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

It's the lack of a domestic market that's ruining German beer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt