News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Looking for advice about a friend

Started by Martinus, May 26, 2013, 02:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Who's going to pay the bills while he's living there? And what do you think will have changed between now and when you have to throw him out in a few months when your mum moves in?

He won't just not generate money, he'll actively cost you more, and you'll be stuck with a sitting tenant. Say it won't be available because you're having it renovated for your mum. I'm hoping you're investing at least as much for your mum to live there as you would for tenants, especially given how much your parents have helped you out.

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on May 26, 2013, 11:06:19 AM
A good friend is someone who will sacrifice their life for you and do the work to provide food and shelter, not meet weekly or bi-weekly with other people to chat and drink wine.

Cut this anchor out of your life. If he is a leech to his own family, what do you think he is or will be to you? :wacko:

So you can't find out if someone was a good friend until they are dead?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Sounds like Phil is suggesting Marty is unwise to be a good friend to anyone.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

I never loan money to friends or family. If their need is dire and they need help, I just gift them what is needed. In this case, it seems this fellow has too many safety nets that make any meaningful change to his life unnecessary. Your human side wants to help him because he is a friend, but you'll need tell Wiktor/Dawid you can't help and force them to help themself.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 04:20:46 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 26, 2013, 03:08:07 AM
he is a Slavist literature graduate
Wow useful.  :mellow:

Somebody over there must do something with it.

I knew a guy in London who got a degree in Russian literature, of all things.

Ended up doing really, really well for himself in translation and interpreting for Russians coming to England to do business.
and the horse you rode in on

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2013, 12:19:40 PM
So you can't find out if someone was a good friend until they are dead?
That's why we love Jesus.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Phillip V on May 26, 2013, 11:06:19 AM
Cut this anchor out of your life. If he is a leech to his own family, what do you think he is or will be to you? :wacko:

yeppers. And its not like you would be actually HELPING him by letting him postpone the eventual collapse of his life, which will either make hiw permantently disappear down the drains, or get his act together.

"sorry, my mom needs the place" is the perfect excuse, no friend of any kind could feel injustice by you preferring your mother over them. If he throws a tantrum / cuts ties with you over this, good riddance.