News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

John McCain: Hero again

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 23, 2013, 02:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
I wonder if some niche stations would be badly hurt.

It's very hard to predict because the market is complicated - you have 3 tiers of participant (content, distribution, consumption) and complex variations of content but with some overlap. 

I do think the tendency will be for niche players to price high as a result of which there will be less quantity supplied, lower profits, but yet no real gain in consumer surplus.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2013, 03:35:05 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
I wonder if some niche stations would be badly hurt.

It's very hard to predict because the market is complicated - you have 3 tiers of participant (content, distribution, consumption) and complex variations of content but with some overlap. 

I do think the tendency will be for niche players to price high as a result of which there will be less quantity supplied, lower profits, but yet no real gain in consumer surplus.

I would think the truly niche stations would be fine.  They have a market that is small, but dedicated, and likely willing to pay a big price to continue to receive that channel.

What would be in trouble would be some of the more generic channels that mostly show old re-runs.  I even watch some of those channels, but would hardly pay even $0.25 per month to keep them.

I definitely agree with Minsky that this isn't going to result in shrinking cable bills, if passed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2013, 03:39:00 PM
I would think the truly niche stations would be fine.  They have a market that is small, but dedicated, and likely willing to pay a big price to continue to receive that channel.

What would be in trouble would be some of the more generic channels that mostly show old re-runs.  I even watch some of those channels, but would hardly pay even $0.25 per month to keep them.

I definitely agree with Minsky that this isn't going to result in shrinking cable bills, if passed.

I suspect they would be hurt, otherwise they wouldn't insist on being on standard cable.

My guess is that depending on the quantity and quality of original programming, the price they can charge their fans will be limited by the ability to go to a bar to watch the games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2013, 03:58:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2013, 03:39:00 PM

I suspect they would be hurt, otherwise they wouldn't insist on being on standard cable.

My guess is that depending on the quantity and quality of original programming, the price they can charge their fans will be limited by the ability to go to a bar to watch the games.

They're fighting it because they're making guaranteed money right now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2013, 03:29:30 PM
It's not.
If the market controlled, distributors would presumably continue to bundle because that is profit maximizing and they would deny the a la carte option.

If it is a market, then the distributor doesn't get to decide what you are offered.  That only happens in a monopoly.

QuoteThis is coercive legislation that is forcing market participants to act other than they would in the market.

There are many examples of coercive legislation that prevents would-be monopolies from acting as they would like to.  I am no libertarian and I don't have any objection to the principle of legislating against monopolistic outcomes.  I don't think the result here is necessarily going to be what some of the supporters of the legislation think it will be, just as I don't think the result of any other legislation is going to be what some of the supporters of that legislation think it will be.  People should make informed votes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote— three times the rate of inflation and far outpacing the average American's paycheck.

That fact hasn't had an impact on any other policy--from healthcare costs to the minimum wage--why start mentioning it now?

All of you, suck it up and swallow your force-fed Oxygen network.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2013, 04:37:25 PM
If it is a market, then the distributor doesn't get to decide what you are offered.  That only happens in a monopoly.

Monopolies do arise in markets.  The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.  Far from it.
And even in a non-monopoly situation, the producer always gets to decide the terms on which it offers its services.  There are non-monopoly markets where bundling occurs.

QuoteThere are many examples of coercive legislation that prevents would-be monopolies from acting as they would like to. 

Indeed there are.  Some of them benefit consumers.  Some of them don't.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I think one outcome of this legislation is that many channels would go out of business, since very few people would pay anything to have them.  That's a good thing, IMO.  We have way too many channels now, and this fragmentation is hurting TV as an entertainment option on the whole.

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2013, 04:45:10 PM

Don't get it here :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2013, 04:45:10 PM

Why should we pay so that you can watch Oxygen?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 25, 2013, 04:20:59 PM
Why should we pay so that you can watch Oxygen?

Because I have to pay so you can watch Logo, and Siegey can watch it when nobody's awake.

Ed Anger

I used the parental lock on Logo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2013, 09:00:17 PM
WTF is Logo?

Gay tv station.

Actually, Seeds, I don't have cable. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.