And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does your commute cost?

Started by Brazen, May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on May 22, 2013, 08:59:42 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 08:37:05 AM
Do the IRS estimates take into account wear and tear (or is it they just average so that it would cover suvs as well)? I always end up making money (vs. gas purchased) when reimbursed. Given the magnitude of difference, I don't think it's just because I have a hybrid.

The estimates are supposed to take into account wear and tear, insurance, etc., i.e. "other items [than gasoline] enter into the calculation of mileage rates, such as depreciation and insurance and other fixed and variable costs."

Alright gotcha, yeah that's what I thought. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2013, 09:02:07 AM
I also walk three miles a day to, from and between stations.

I walk about a mile to and from the parking lot every day as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Yuck. I think I walk a total of 4 blocks (2 on each trip). -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

I walk about half a mile with my commute (part of it from the house to the stop, and part of it from the stop to the office).

During the summer - assuming that I don't have something going on in the evening which is rare - I try to walk to and from work. That's about an hour each way at right at 3 miles.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Duque de Bragança

In Frankfurt, around 80 euros per month for 35-45 min each way. It's also good for the whole city (like Syt) and covers the airport (unlike most cities).
In Paris it's 50-60 euros per month depending if I take the year-long or the monthly one.

PS : on week-ends, the Paris pass is good for the whole region so don't need to pay an extra fee to go visit Versailles.

Syt

Maybe 3km for me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 09:03:50 AM

I bet that is fun.  That walk from the parking place to the stadium was like walking through hell for me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on May 22, 2013, 10:17:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 22, 2013, 09:03:50 AM

I bet that is fun.  That walk from the parking place to the stadium was like walking through hell for me.

Summers really suck.  There should be some law about getting all sweaty because of the brutal heat before 8 AM.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Boss pays for 4,500 EUR/yr rail pass.

Jacob

The one zone transit pass I used to have cost $91/month. Since I got the car, I've been driving instead, dropping off my wife on the way and picking her back up on the way home. Haven't figured out what that costs in terms of gas and milage; I think I'm putting about $100-$120 worth of gas in the tank every month, but that includes all kinds of other driving too (and covers two $91/month transit passes).

Takes me about 10-15 minutes to drop my wife off, and then another 5-10 to get to my work from there.

garbon

A co-worker set me an email today at 8:54 which I responded to as I was still at home. When I got into the office, she looked puzzled and asked me when I had got a smart phone. She was confused because it had been so quick between when I sent her email from home and when I was in the office. She then told me that she hated me. -_-

Jacob

:lol:

I used to walk about 30 minutes to and from work. It was lovely.

Iormlund

Right now, about half a tank a month. 20-30 mins a day depending on traffic.

Before that about the same in bus fare, 3h a day including quite a bit of walking.

crazy canuck

The cost of my commute to work is inexpensive.  My wife and I share the trip downtown so creates a cost savings.  $200 per month for my parking stall and about $100 per month on gas.  But the gas part is used mainly driving the kids too and from their many and varied stops.

Once they are off the university I will either go back to taking transit or now that we live quite close to downtown I might just start taking my bike to work.