News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does your commute cost?

Started by Brazen, May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on May 22, 2013, 08:27:05 AM
Free. I bike to work like any proper Dane would do.

So what happens when there's a substantial accumulation of snow?  Walk it?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2013, 08:25:16 AM
100km (50 per direction, yes?) sounds not too bad. Back home I knew a lot of people doing that on a daily basis if their job was in/near Hamburg, and there were a number of people who did 70+km per direction. Most drove to a park&ride on the outskirts of Hamburg and switched to public transport. A one hour commute per direction was nothing out of the ordinary for many people.

Yes, I know people here that do a 75km per direction commute, it's an almost 3h a day thing.

To be very precise (keep in mind this is for the 2 persons), my gf does a 33km per direction commute, mine is 17 & 18kms.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM
How much does your commute to work cost per month, if anything? An average of petrol/gas usage will do if you don't use public transport.

I think mine may be hard to beat - my monthly travel card costs £199 and it takes me an hour to go 16 miles each way.

Approximately £0.0035 per mile, maximum commute radius about 20 miles.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on May 22, 2013, 08:10:50 AM
How much does your commute to work cost per month, if anything? An average of petrol/gas usage will do if you don't use public transport.

About $107 / month, based on the IRS 56.5 cents a mile estimates, and about 20-30 minutes to go 4.6 miles each day.

Do the IRS estimates take into account wear and tear (or is it they just average so that it would cover suvs as well)? I always end up making money (vs. gas purchased) when reimbursed. Given the magnitude of difference, I don't think it's just because I have a hybrid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 08:28:37 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 22, 2013, 08:27:05 AM
Free. I bike to work like any proper Dane would do.

So what happens when there's a substantial accumulation of snow?  Walk it?

It's possible to bike through quite a bit of snow, but in case it's too much I only have a 20 minutes walk to work, and 40 to uni.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Neil

I spend between $50-60 a month on gas.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on May 22, 2013, 08:36:08 AM
Approximately £0.0035 per mile, maximum commute radius about 20 miles.  :)
Pffft, real ale's cheap, but not that cheap  ;)

PDH

I bike from April through October, then I take the free bus that the university pays for by refusing to give employees a raise.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

and about 20-30 minutes to go 4.6 miles each day.

That's a lot of red lights.

Caliga

*does some quick math* At current gas prices, comes out to about $120 a month (assuming a certain percentage of the gas is spent driving places other than work).  My commute is all driving and parking is free.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 08:37:05 AM
Do the IRS estimates take into account wear and tear (or is it they just average so that it would cover suvs as well)? I always end up making money (vs. gas purchased) when reimbursed. Given the magnitude of difference, I don't think it's just because I have a hybrid.

The estimates are supposed to take into account wear and tear, insurance, etc., i.e. "other items [than gasoline] enter into the calculation of mileage rates, such as depreciation and insurance and other fixed and variable costs."

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 08:55:51 AM
and about 20-30 minutes to go 4.6 miles each day.

That's a lot of red lights.

5 red lights plus steady stop and go.

merithyn

I think mine may be hard to beat - my monthly travel card costs £199 and it takes me an hour to go 16 miles each way.

My bus pass costs me $60/year. It takes me 25 minutes to go 3 miles each way.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Brazen

I also walk three miles a day to, from and between stations.

Valmy

There is no direct busline to my job anymore once we moved (so I would have to drive quite a ways to get to the busline...which sort of removes any advantage) and the train does not come anywhere close to campus.  I mean what Fing sense does it make to have a train that does not go to one of the biggest Universities in the world?  So I get to blow tons of money and time driving everyday.  My time is the real bummer, I blow through ten hours each week commuting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."