News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How much does your commute cost?

Started by Brazen, May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

How much does your commute to work cost per month, if anything? An average of petrol/gas usage will do if you don't use public transport.

I think mine may be hard to beat - my monthly travel card costs £199 and it takes me an hour to go 16 miles each way.

Grey Fox

My GF's is ~400$/month
I'm about 200$/month

so, 600$/month.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Brazen

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2013, 07:33:44 AM
My GF's is ~400$/month
I'm about 200$/month

so, 600$/month.
Wow, that's massive, what does that consist of?

Mine's a train and two Tubes.

garbon

$112 and about 15 minutes to go roughly 2.5 miles.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

My last gig was 4.3 miles from home.

Hopkins, I took the Metro, which was approximately 4 miles from home; $3.20 round trip, discounted if it were a weekly or monthly ticket, free parking.

With the Authority, I had to travel to the polar opposite of where I was on the beltway, down past the Key Bridge.  Rush hour, it could be anywhere from 45 mins to 1:15 to travel 32 miles;  I'd make the call to go either direction on the beltway depending on the traffic report:  west, which was shorter but could take more time; east, which was longer but could get up to higher speeds; or straight through the city, and hope all the lights were green in the 'hood.  And heaven help us all if it were raining, which could make a 32 mile trip take over 90 minutes.

sbr

I spend about $60 a week on gas, my daily drive is about 70 miles round trip.

I leave the house about 5am and get home a little after 3pm, so I don't have to deal with toouch traffic.

Syt

€31.25/month for as many rides within Vienna as I want (subway, tram, bus). I ride the sub for 15-20 minutes in each direction.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2013, 07:38:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2013, 07:33:44 AM
My GF's is ~400$/month
I'm about 200$/month

so, 600$/month.
Wow, that's massive, what does that consist of?

Mine's a train and two Tubes.

Gas for 100km a day, 20 times a month at a price of ~1.40 a liter. Average is probably more around 1.30 but the higher price is a comprise for my GF's car higher fuel cost than mine. She does 65km, I do the rest.

Warspite

£130 a month, but that also gives me unlimited use of public transport within zones 1 and 2.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on May 22, 2013, 08:03:50 AM
£130 a month, but that also gives me unlimited use of public transport within zones 1 and 2.
Yeah, I get zones 1-5 on mine, so I can go too, ooh, Pinner or Cheam or Chislehurst...

ulmont

Quote from: Brazen on May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM
How much does your commute to work cost per month, if anything? An average of petrol/gas usage will do if you don't use public transport.

About $107 / month, based on the IRS 56.5 cents a mile estimates, and about 20-30 minutes to go 4.6 miles each day.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2013, 08:02:18 AM
Gas for 100km a day, 20 times a month at a price of ~1.40 a liter. Average is probably more around 1.30 but the higher price is a comprise for my GF's car higher fuel cost than mine. She does 65km, I do the rest.

Goddamn;  ever explore options to get closer?

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2013, 08:10:58 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 22, 2013, 08:02:18 AM

Goddamn;  ever explore options to get closer?

Other than quitting one or the other job there is not really any solution. We bought our house in the middle of the time distance between our 2 jobs(time, not KMs). It's 30mins away. I'm obviously in traffic, she does a opposite to the traffic commute.

Syt

100km (50 per direction, yes?) sounds not too bad. Back home I knew a lot of people doing that on a daily basis if their job was in/near Hamburg, and there were a number of people who did 70+km per direction. Most drove to a park&ride on the outskirts of Hamburg and switched to public transport. A one hour commute per direction was nothing out of the ordinary for many people.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Free. I bike to work like any proper Dane would do.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk