News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the masquerade necessary?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 21, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the masquerade necessary?

Yes! The sheeple need to be kept in the dark!
7 (53.8%)
No! People need to know the truth!
6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

The Minsky Moment

I think that staging a costume ball is a sub-optimal response to the threat of fictional monsters.
So which way should I vote?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 11:45:15 AM
I guess, g, has different standards for evaluating books.

Of course I do; my standards include that the writer has considered the needs of his plot.  Your standards are different from that, I guess.  To each his own.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 01:15:21 PM
I think that staging a costume ball is a sub-optimal response to the threat of fictional monsters.

How do you respond to fictional threats?  Hold Congressional hearings?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
Well, we've got 50 pages on tea party tax evasion and nearly 200 on Canadian politics, obviously just about anything is "thread worthy".  :homestar: 

I don't mind threads that have controversies in them.  This one doesn't.  There is no need for the aliens to engage in The Masquerade in Independence Day; there was absolutely a need for them to engage in it in V.  In either movie the plot wouldn't work with the opposite choice made.

So the answer to "is the masquerade necessary" is "yes, where it is necessary, and no, where it isn't."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2013, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
Well, we've got 50 pages on tea party tax evasion and nearly 200 on Canadian politics, obviously just about anything is "thread worthy".  :homestar: 

I don't mind threads that have controversies in them.  This one doesn't.  There is no need for the aliens to engage in The Masquerade in Independence Day; there was absolutely a need for them to engage in it in V.  In either movie the plot wouldn't work with the opposite choice made.

So the answer to "is the masquerade necessary" is "yes, where it is necessary, and no, where it isn't."

I don't mind threads that don't have controversies, they tend to be less repetitive and over quicker. :contract:

However, it hasn't been universally agreed upon in this thread whether Tim should flush his head in a toilet or not.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 22, 2013, 01:43:23 PM

However, it hasn't been universally agreed upon in this thread whether Tim should flush his head in a toilet or not.  :hmm:

Yes, but a public one from an AM/PM
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2013, 01:25:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 22, 2013, 01:15:21 PM

How do you respond to fictional threats? 

Throw the book at 'em.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2013, 11:40:19 AM
Are Jews a secret?
I suspect they created the Laws of Attraction. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2013, 03:17:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2013, 11:40:19 AM
Are Jews a secret?
I suspect they created the Laws of Attraction. :)

I thought they created the Rules of Acquisition... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Right. It's utterly dependent on the kind of story the author's trying to tell.
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

If they were changed, the movie name would be V Day. NYUK GET IT

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 22, 2013, 01:20:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2013, 11:45:15 AM
I guess, g, has different standards for evaluating books.

Of course I do; my standards include that the writer has considered the needs of his plot.  Your standards are different from that, I guess.  To each his own.

The writer could have considered it and chosen the ill-advised path.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Depends if you think he has a high threshold or faulty judgment.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?